Thread: Turkey Dinner!
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 05:51 PM  
After Shock Media
It's coming look busy

Location: "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn".
Properly brined and seasoned turkey, can not stand a messed up and yes about to maybe start an argument can not stand a fried turkey for that day.

Cranberries are a must, can not be from the can, has to have a touch of orange to it with some spice - not to sweet and plenty of tart left.

A very good gravy, though since we brine the turkey it is not made from its drippings (ends up salty) - we make it from roasted veggies, and some extra turkey parts. Typically besides the turkey neck, we pick up some additional feet, necks, or wings. Just the flavors from this, some broth, some wine, and a bit of a roux.

Dressing cooked on the side. Can not stand it cooked inside of a turkey and well thats not neither safe nor smart as it extends the cooking times of the bird. Since it is cooked in separate dishes we typically have a few types. Some are fond of the oyster stuffing, some like the wild rice and sausage dressing, I like a good bread stuffing with turkey livers added. Slightly crunchy on the outside but creamy on the inside.

Mashed spuds are a must. I never boil potatoes for that though. Gives the potato to much water content. So I always steam the potatoes, slip the skins off if needed, and then use a ricer. Used to use a food mill but that sometimes messed up certain potato types. Often I will add some roasted garlic to the potatoes before I throw them into the ricer. Plenty or real butter and mood depending either half n half or cream.

Salted fingerling potatoes. Not sure how they ended up on the table but they did. These are baby potatoes that are cooked in literally a shitload of salted water. I do mean very salted too. Typically with pickling salt to boot. They are taken out and set covered for a bit. You just end up with these small potatoes almost covered in a thin shell of salt. It is crazy good despite how it may sound.

Sweet potato casserole. Not my favorite, I could do without it - yet it must be served. Sweet potatoes cooked up in a sugary solution. Then placed in a casserole dish, spotted with butter and more brown sugar, then topped with marshmallows and roasted.

Acorn or other type of squash, simply roasted. Bit of brown sugar, butter, and perhaps some nutmeg.

Brussel sprouts two ways. One is just steamed until done, served with butter or cheese sauce. Second is having all of the leaves removed, then they are sauteed with bacon and onion. Occasionally instead of steaming sometimes they get roasted but that typically upsets someone. So if you roast some you better steam some.

Roasted cauliflower, again served as is with butter or with cheese sauce.

There will always be some pumpkin pie, pecan pie, apple cider, and plenty of appetizers and snacks. However the one dessert that stands out is the individual apple wraps. They are a whole skinned and cored apple, seasoned and then wrapped in puff pastry and baked. Served with home made vanilla ice cream or just whipped cream.

You may tell there are really no out of season veggies nor things. So we never have green beans which thankfully means no green bean casserole (yippee).

App wise the must haves are just deviled eggs, something we call george dip, at least one type of antipasto tray, always some homemade olives, a cheese tray, perhaps a few salsas, assorted chips, plenty of nuts typically from a relatives tree's, always at least a couple sticks of homemade salumi of some sort.

It is a slight cultural mix. Aside from the mutt American "traditional", we have some German influence, plenty of Spanish/Mediterranean, English, some Italian, and now even some Arabic.

[email protected] ICQ:135982156 AIM: Aftershockmed1a MSN: [email protected]
After Shock Media is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote