View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 09:12 AM  
sarettah
l8r

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry0t View Post
Oh jeez I screwed that up royally I apologize. That is not what I meant. I meant "maybe like you I am not trusting of others much". You know sometimes you hire a programmer and they will steal your idea. In this case I am searching for a programmer I can team up with to make my idea become reality. However it works the same way because I still need to trust the person I work with That they wont steal the idea. I could tell you my idea and you could run off with it. I do not mean to come off as a prick. Basically I wanted to see if you felt the urge to partner with someone and make a dream into reality. It could be very big.
Ok, np.

I am not really interested in a partnership at this time, thank you.

However, I will say, I have been privvy to many people's different ideas across the past 10 years in this biz. You will not find one instance where I revealed a client's idea.

You will find very few instances where I discussed what I was doing for (or with) a client unless the particular client has been involved in the discussion.

You will find absolutely no instances of me pissing with a client in public (or vice versa) over a project. Will I piss with a client in public over politics, sex, religion or biz related/non project related topics? By all means at the drop of a hat ;p

I no longer sign NDAs. My past history is good enough for most people as evidence that I keep my mouth shut about what a client's business is.

I have found that there are very few "original" ideas in this business. There are many instances where someone has come to me with something, they think it is the very latest big big original idea and I reply back to them with a sanitized version of a quote I wrote for someone else prior. Synchronicity runs rampant in the age of the Information Super Highway

I very rarely do an actual "signed" contract any more. I state my terms, they state their's. We work out any kinks and do business or don't.

You will find absolutely no references to me ripping off a client. Consequently, you will find no references to me being ripped off in this business.

I have fired clients before. I have a fairly low tolerance for pain. When I see a project going down the "death march" route I speak up and try to get cooperation from the client in order to rescue it. If I do not get the cooperation or something else goes awry that convinces me there is no hope, I am inclined to back out of the project. This has happened once or twice. In those cases I have sent the client back all money received with a note saying "sorry, it did not work out". I have also left any code produced thus far on their server to do with what they will.

That is the way I do business.

Last edited by sarettah; 06-28-2009 at 09:15 AM..
sarettah is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote