View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 04:06 PM  
demigh0d

Who's "shaking down" who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneprone View Post
I really dont like being pushed around. This is afterall me tucking tail between my legs and letting someone shake me down.
You may want to be more careful on how you word things. "shake down" is defined as "extortion, as by blackmail or threats of violence". Extortion is defined as "the crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority".

Let's go over your issue...

You signed a contract effective 10/30/04 which explained the terms, including the automatic annual renewal of the contract, of service. If you did not agree with the terms you didn't have to enter into the contract. There are plenty of other hosting companies out there.

You now complain that the cost was way too high for a slow server and 10Mb bandwidth cap. Obviously you didn't think it was too much four years ago. Costs do come down over time but unless you re-negotiate the contract you will continue to pay the same rate. Many customers do re-negotiate their contracts and you had the opportunity to do so in 10/05, 10/06, 10/07 and 10/08. You could have had the server and/or bandwidth upgraded at any time. Obviously you were satisfied with the service and cost and chose not to.

Your latest contract renewal date was 10/30/08. You say you canceled in 11/08, after the contract automatically renewed. So according to the contract your signed you are legally responsible for paying until the end of the current contract, 10/30/09.

You are responsible for reading and understanding the contracts you sign. It's not Navisite's job to read it to you, remind you regularly what it says or when it renews.

As for the wording of the contract, that was done by the previous owners of Jupiter Hosting. Navisite had nothing to do with that. But again, it comes down to the fact that you did agree to the wording when you signed the contract.

So, Which part is more unfair or abusive to the other?

a. A company that provided services in good faith and is only trying to enforce the agreement signed by the customer.

b. The customer publicly blasting the company because suddenly, after 4 years of service, he doesn't agree with the contract he signed and did nothing over the years to re-negotiate it.

Disclaimer: I am a current employee of Navisite/Jupiter though I work in an engineering capacity and have no direct relations with sales or collections. The above opinions are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer.
demigh0d is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote