|
Hi guys i'm new in the forum but here more info
CanWest News Service
Published: Wednesday, September 13, 2006
MONTREAL -- At least one -- possibly two -- gunmen opened fire Wednesday inside downtown Montreal?s Dawson College leaving four dead and critically wounding at least three people and sending hundreds of screaming and terrified students and staff running into the streets and seeking cover.
One network reported four people are dead and 16 wounded ? but there is no official confirmation from police. It is believed two of the dead were gunmen. One report quoted police saying two gunman were among the dead ? one had been "neutralized" by police and one had taken his own life.
SWAT teams and police canine units are going through the buildings looking for victims, CNN reported.
"Most of the students have exited the college grounds," Sgt. Giuseppe Boccardi told the network.
Outside, a state of panic quickly emerged with frightened students giving wildly varying accounts of what was happening inside. There were several reports saying there was one gunman, while others said there were as many as four.
Television images showed police pulling a bloodied person out of the building.
Helicopters are buzzing overhead and emergency vehicles continued to arrive an hour after the first reports of shots.
One student told a radio station she saw two people who had been shot, with one person hit in the neck.
The ambulance department confirmed three people have been transported to hospital in critical condition and there are several more wounded inside the facility, which has about 10,000 full-and part-time students.
Live television pictures showed students continuing to flee from all exits long after the first shots were reported. Some of the students ran away from the buildings holding their hands in the air.
Several people were seen being taken out on stretchers. On the front steps of the building, blood was seen on the ground near a police vehicle.
Witnesses said it appeared one gunman was chasing someone and at least 20 shots were fired.
Michel Boyer, 19, told CTV he saw a masked gunman wearing black from head to toe and wearing a mask was seen with a black rifle or shotgun. He said he heard 20 shots and ran for shelter in a classroom.
"I think I'm very lucky to be alive and that is wasn't injured," Boyer said.
"It was like something from a movie, it is the most scary thing that has ever happened to me."
Another report said a white gunman with a Mohawk haircut and dressed in black opened fire in the building.
The shootings began around 1:00 p.m. Eastern time and reportedly took place in the cafeteria, on the third floor of the school.
The school is located in a densely populated area of the city with stores and offices surrounding it.
It is not the first time there has been a shooting in a Montreal college. In December 1989, Marc Lepine shot and killed 14 women and wounded several others at Ecole Polytechnique during a shooting rampage that ended when he took his own life.
|