Welcome to the GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Post New Thread Reply

Register GFY Rules Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > Simply Business > Webmaster Q & Fuckin' A
New Webmasters ask "How-To" questions here. This is where other fucking Webmasters help.

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
LushBoobs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 98
Trademark infringement

I'm curious.. what would you do if you invested thousands into building a brand, exclusive content which was to appear ONLY On the 1 site..

and then.. a huge company swooped in and used your trademarked brand name for the same model, who had since left the company and was no longer legally entitled to use that name and knew that?

What are the steps to recover after the cannibalization of an entire brand.. ? they were given the option to use her NEW name and chose not to because all the hard work and investment had already been done (not by them but by us) to promote and brand that name..

what happens next?
__________________

<3
LushBoobs is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Kostly
Confirmed User
 
Kostly's Avatar
 
Industry Role:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 474
See the movie the Social Network... lol
__________________
Slippery Onion - Upload Images for Free Backlinks
Our Kinky Life - Our Adult Sites
Kostly is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Markul
Likes Pie
 
Markul's Avatar
 
Industry Role:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The land that liberated porn
Posts: 8,978
Call a lawyer happens next ;)
Markul is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Babaganoosh
♥♥♥ Likes Hugs ♥♥♥
 
Babaganoosh's Avatar
 
Industry Role:
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: /home
Posts: 15,793
If you truly don't know what to do now then you're entirely too stupid to be in business for yourself.
__________________
I like pie.
Babaganoosh is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
LushBoobs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 98
I know what to do and have spoken to two lawyers, I"M ASKING WHAT YOU WOULD DO... did you not understand the question? maybe you're the one that's too stupid.. it was simple. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

duh.
asshole.
__________________

<3
LushBoobs is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
LushBoobs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 98
thank you kostly and markul, for answering my question. what would you do.. not what should I do.
__________________

<3
LushBoobs is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
Markul
Likes Pie
 
Markul's Avatar
 
Industry Role:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The land that liberated porn
Posts: 8,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by LushBoobs View Post
thank you kostly and markul, for answering my question. what would you do.. not what should I do.
Well... What did the lawyer say. I have 3 different lawyers with two different companies, usually (not always, but MOST of the time) I do what they advice me to do. Havent had to use then for a case like yours though.
Markul is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
PhoneMoney
Registered User
 
Industry Role:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
I feel your pain.

Here is what I would do, with the assumption that you have it in you contract that she cannot use the name.

But be warned, I am a bitch when it comes to this kind of stuff. And I am rarely a bitch.

I would sick the lawyers on them, and then go and see what kind of a headache I could cause them legally. Lawyers are here to help, and odds are the model and her little friends think you won't do anything.

Prove them wrong.

See what loophole as well you can do to hit them up for a civil suit regarding breach of contract and loss of income. Go for $$$ from them. Not just the name.

You need a good lawyer.

However, if you don't have it VERY clear in her contract - you may be fucked.
__________________
Promote Phone Sex - Pick the ladies that fit your niche.
PhoneMoney is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
LushBoobs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 98
the name was trademarked.. they're using a trademarked name, it has nothing to do with the model and yes i have evidence that she knew she was not to use it anywhere else and exclusively with us. However.. the big company who wanted to use it, regardless of my agreement with the model - did not do their due diligence and research the trademark before using it - so my issue is not as much with her, as it is with them. She made a new name and all the other sites she models for use her new name. The big company in question wanted to use the name WE had branded, because no one knew her under the new name yet - and they wanted all the work WE had done to benefit them. Problem is, we had a PINUP Site (not xxx) and now they are using that name for her XXX work thereby trashing our brand and all our investment is now - also a waste.

Thanks for the advice.. I appreciate it.

=)
__________________

<3
LushBoobs is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
Babaganoosh
♥♥♥ Likes Hugs ♥♥♥
 
Babaganoosh's Avatar
 
Industry Role:
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: /home
Posts: 15,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by LushBoobs View Post
I know what to do and have spoken to two lawyers, I"M ASKING WHAT YOU WOULD DO... did you not understand the question? maybe you're the one that's too stupid.. it was simple. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

duh.
asshole.
I was right.

You're entirely too fucking stupid.
__________________
I like pie.
Babaganoosh is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
LushBoobs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaganoosh View Post
I was right.

You're entirely too fucking stupid.

once again - I pointed out that you misunderstood the question and again you call me too stupid?

learn to read, asshole.
then take responsibility for YOUR MISTAKE and then apologize for being a dick.

apparently you can't admit you were wrong, and cover it by calling me names. smooth. way to show that you're soooooo insecure as to be unable to apologize or admit that you made - oops - A MISTAKE. you misunderstood my very BASIC AND SIMPLE QUESTION.. i guess we know which one of us is entirely too fucking stupid.

oh and if you're too stupid to understand - it's you.
__________________

<3
LushBoobs is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #12
Babaganoosh
♥♥♥ Likes Hugs ♥♥♥
 
Babaganoosh's Avatar
 
Industry Role:
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: /home
Posts: 15,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by LushBoobs View Post
once again - I pointed out that you misunderstood the question and again you call me too stupid?

learn to read, asshole.
then take responsibility for YOUR MISTAKE and then apologize for being a dick.

apparently you can't admit you were wrong, and cover it by calling me names. smooth. way to show that you're soooooo insecure as to be unable to apologize or admit that you made - oops - A MISTAKE. you misunderstood my very BASIC AND SIMPLE QUESTION.. i guess we know which one of us is entirely too fucking stupid.

oh and if you're too stupid to understand - it's you.
Are you trolling or are you truly this fucking dense?

I know you're trying to make this out to be an argument about semantics. That's just precious.

Anyone with an IQ higher than that of a coconut should/would talk to an attorney--which you made no mention of doing in your original post. After speaking to an attorney, anyone with an IQ higher than that of a coconut should/would do what the attorney advised them to do. The answer to your question was so blatantly obvious that I came to the conclusion that you are, in fact, an idiot.

I hope you get it now, genius.
__________________
I like pie.
Babaganoosh is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
Kostly
Confirmed User
 
Kostly's Avatar
 
Industry Role:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 474
Welcome to GFY
__________________
Slippery Onion - Upload Images for Free Backlinks
Our Kinky Life - Our Adult Sites
Kostly is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #14
LushBoobs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaganoosh View Post
Are you trolling or are you truly this fucking dense?

I know you're trying to make this out to be an argument about semantics. That's just precious.

Anyone with an IQ higher than that of a coconut should/would talk to an attorney--which you made no mention of doing in your original post. After speaking to an attorney, anyone with an IQ higher than that of a coconut should/would do what the attorney advised them to do. The answer to your question was so blatantly obvious that I came to the conclusion that you are, in fact, an idiot.

I hope you get it now, genius.
160 iq. ASSHOLE.
__________________

<3
LushBoobs is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
Babaganoosh
♥♥♥ Likes Hugs ♥♥♥
 
Babaganoosh's Avatar
 
Industry Role:
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: /home
Posts: 15,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by LushBoobs View Post
160 iq. ASSHOLE.
Also a congenital liar I see. Good luck with that.
__________________
I like pie.
Babaganoosh is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
LushBoobs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 98
love when people who make mistakes cannot admit it, and sling insults instead. awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaganoosh View Post
Also a congenital liar I see. Good luck with that.

uh. no. I don't lie. so I'm sorry that you're so insecure that you cannot possibly admit that you misunderstood my question - and now you have to call me names and try to insult me to both make yourself feel better, and to deflect attention away from the fact that YOU MADE A MISTAKE.. i feel sorry for people who can't admit they make mistakes, because they have no potential to ever improve, evolve or learn from mistakes they can't admit they've made. oh well. still - you're kind of an asshole. now - stop responding, you clearly DID NOT UNDERSTAND MY QUESTION, SO really - your response is just a waste of OUR time. thanks for the judgement - again - YOU MADE A MISTAKE. don't sling shit at me because you are too arrogant to admit to it.
__________________

<3
LushBoobs is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
Babaganoosh
♥♥♥ Likes Hugs ♥♥♥
 
Babaganoosh's Avatar
 
Industry Role:
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: /home
Posts: 15,793
Again. Too...fucking...stupid. Just stop.
__________________
I like pie.
Babaganoosh is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
stoner529
Confirmed User
 
stoner529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: longwood, fl
Posts: 394
1. i just read this thread.. you made it sound as if you hadn't hired a lawyer right off the bat, so i see the point there.

You get bitchy when someone calls you an idiot for asking what they would do stating they didnt read the question right.

Well we read the question stated what would we do. and i feel the same way, if you don't know what to do you shouldnt be in business in this industry.

trademark names are the same reason you see wrestlers with different companies having different names. they switch from one company and have to use different names because the other company trademarked that name. if that girl where smart she would have trademarked her own name and not let you trade mark a name for her.

If i had a 160 iq, i wouldnt be in the adult business. Hell i here asia carerra is quite smart and had great money until her husband died and she lost it all. but she is smart.

I wouldnt even ask the advice of anyone on here if i already hired a lawyer. Its a no brainer.

I think you're kinda stupid too for asking it. You can have brains but you can't always have common sense.

You can buy your kids way onto the football team but you can't buy him talent in the long run.

You can buy their grades in school but you can't buy them smarts when they need it on their own

You can trademark a name, but if you have to ask the advice of others after asking a lawyer, then you're stupid.....

Last edited by stoner529; 08-14-2012 at 04:31 PM..
stoner529 is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
LushBoobs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 98
there are no stupid questions - only stupid answers. seriously... you guys are kinda clueless - as this is a WEBMASTER Q & A forum, which is meant to ask and answer questions and to seek and give advice. I two lawyers, one is my sister, the other my brothers best friend, both entertainment lawyers but don't specialize in ADULT entertainment and i wanted to know what YOU all would do in my situation. I didn't trademark the name for her, my company developed the character that SHE PLAYED.

fuck it. i won't come here for help anymore.. most of you are sarcastic rude assholes, and WHERE ELSE TO ASK THAN IN A Q&A help forum? this is the place.. you just didn't like the question and if you ask me - YOU Didn't have to CHIME IN, but wanted to slam me for asking a "stupid question" as you put it.. when in fact.. some people understood what i asked and answered and for those answers - THANK YOU - you all used this forum as it was originally intended, to ask for and receive advice, instead of abusing someone because you don't approve of the question.

seriously? wow.
fuck off.
__________________

<3
LushBoobs is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:03 AM   #20
Babaganoosh
♥♥♥ Likes Hugs ♥♥♥
 
Babaganoosh's Avatar
 
Industry Role:
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: /home
Posts: 15,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by LushBoobs View Post
there are no stupid questions - only stupid answers. seriously... you guys are kinda clueless - as this is a WEBMASTER Q & A forum, which is meant to ask and answer questions and to seek and give advice. I two lawyers, one is my sister, the other my brothers best friend, both entertainment lawyers but don't specialize in ADULT entertainment and i wanted to know what YOU all would do in my situation. I didn't trademark the name for her, my company developed the character that SHE PLAYED.

fuck it. i won't come here for help anymore.. most of you are sarcastic rude assholes, and WHERE ELSE TO ASK THAN IN A Q&A help forum? this is the place.. you just didn't like the question and if you ask me - YOU Didn't have to CHIME IN, but wanted to slam me for asking a "stupid question" as you put it.. when in fact.. some people understood what i asked and answered and for those answers - THANK YOU - you all used this forum as it was originally intended, to ask for and receive advice, instead of abusing someone because you don't approve of the question.

seriously? wow.
fuck off.
Yes, there are stupid questions. Your original post should serve as proof. Don't get butthurt that a few people laughed at you. We understood your question *PERFECTLY* despite your insistence that we didn't. You sure are sensitive. Perhaps GFY is too rough for you. Maybe you can find a forum for cat blog webmasters or something?
__________________
I like pie.
Babaganoosh is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #21
stoner529
Confirmed User
 
stoner529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: longwood, fl
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaganoosh View Post
Yes, there are stupid questions. Your original post should serve as proof. Don't get butthurt that a few people laughed at you. We understood your question *PERFECTLY* despite your insistence that we didn't. You sure are sensitive. Perhaps GFY is too rough for you. Maybe you can find a forum for cat blog webmasters or something?
Well put. Honestly I understood the question just fine, however because you seemed to go off on babaganoosh for saying thats a stupid question rather be adult and polite about it, i did agreee with him.

Now for more stupidity. I would rather get a TRADEMARK LAWYER then an entertainment lawyer. soo..... does that answer your question.
stoner529 is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > Simply Business > Webmaster Q & Fuckin' A

Bookmarks

Tags
brand destruction, cannibalization of brand, legal advice, trademark infringment
Thread Tools
Display Modes




©2000-, AVN Media Network Inc



Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000- Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.