Welcome to the GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post New Thread Reply

Register GFY Rules Calendar
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >
Discuss what's fucking going on, and which programs are best and worst. One-time "program" announcements from "established" webmasters are allowed.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
Boardwalk Empire is simply a much much better version of The Sopranos.

I'm watching the Sopranos from the beginning, currently 1/2 way through season 3. Uncanny similarities between both shows. Boardwalk wins by far, perhaps because Sopranos is older and doesn't stand the test of time, but side by side, there's no contest.
dyna mo is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
CourtneyR_FFN
FriendFinder Networks

Industry Role:
never watched the Sopranos, yet Boardwalk Empire is epic!

CourtneyR_FFN is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
also please, no Boardwalk Empire last season spoilers in here. tia!
dyna mo is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyR_FFN View Post
Sopranos is basically a bunch of 1980s fat new jersey guys wearing sansabelt slacks and leisure shirts chumping for change by strong arming pizza joints and hijacking trucks, in between they eat a lot while wearing wife beaters and have mommy issues.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
VikingMan
Exploiting human weakness

Industry Role:
Sopranos made way way more impact. I imagine that boardwalk empire costs more to produce. The wardrobe and set designers and director of photography are excellent. The writers are not so great on Boardwalk. The teeth on the 20 -something Nucky Thompson are ridiculous. The one thing about Boardwalk that makes it less annoying that Sopranos is at least Nucky does not go to therapy.
My favorite scene in Boardwalk is when that villian from last season does an impersonation of Nucky.

Last edited by VikingMan; 10-22-2014 at 10:02 AM..
VikingMan is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
baddog
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
hmmm; I watched Sopranos when it first came out and recently watched the entire series again. Not sure how you came up with it "doesn't stand the test of time." I enjoyed it just as much as the first time.
baddog is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
CourtneyR_FFN
FriendFinder Networks

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna mo View Post
Sopranos is basically a bunch of 1980s fat new jersey guys wearing sansabelt slacks and leisure shirts chumping for change by strong arming pizza joints and hijacking trucks, in between they eat a lot while wearing wife beaters and have mommy issues.
Ok I'm good. I'll stick with BWE. Bummer it will be the last season, but at the same time its good they don't try and push it to far.

CourtneyR_FFN is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingMan View Post
Sopranos made way way more impact. I imagine that boardwalk empire costs more to produce. The wardrobe and set designers and director of photography are excellent. The writers are not so great on Boardwalk. The teeth on the 20 -something Nucky Thompson are ridiculous. The one thing about Boardwalk that makes it less annoying that Sopranos is at least Nucky does not go to therapy.
what do you think it was re: the Sopranos that made that impact? I'm not seeing it, not saying it's not there, but.......

Last edited by dyna mo; 10-22-2014 at 10:05 AM..
Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #9
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog View Post
hmmm; I watched Sopranos when it first came out and recently watched the entire series again. Not sure how you came up with it "doesn't stand the test of time." I enjoyed it just as much as the first time.
it's odd to me because it does keep me interested enough to keep watching through ~3 seasons now, that's ~30 episodes already (I couldn't get through the pilot of the wire on the other hand), so it is entertaining, but I'm not getting what about it made it so special back then.

Last edited by dyna mo; 10-22-2014 at 10:03 AM..
Old 10-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
VikingMan

Industry Role:
Hey I realized I posted a spoiler and deleted it but you had already replied with my quote. Can you delete that part about Chualky white? thanks
VikingMan is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
JFK
FUBAR the ORIGINATOR

Industry Role:
I don't much care for the flashbacks this season, where they are trying to establish Nucky's origins Aside from that, its one of my favourite series

Sig Spot Available –contact JFK @ FUBARWebmasters.com
FUBAR Webmasters - The FUBAR Times - FUBAR Webmasters Mobile - FUBARTV.XXX
For promo opps contact jfk at fubarwebmasters dot com
JFK is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #12
baddog
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
Quote:
. . . I'm not getting what about it made it so special back then.
Likeable characters, easy to follow story line; believable.
baddog is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #13
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog View Post
Likeable characters, easy to follow story line; believable.
I think that's part of it for me, I'm not finding any redeemable qualities for most of the characters. the believable part, yes. easy to follow, yes. Right now, the most likable character for me is Carmela.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
seeandsee
Check SIG!

Industry Role:
Boardwalk is just great, too bad this is finale season

Contact here
seeandsee is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
bronco67
Too lazy to set a custom title

Quote:
I'm watching the Sopranos from the beginning, currently 1/2 way through season 3. Uncanny similarities between both shows. Boardwalk wins by far, perhaps because Sopranos is older and doesn't stand the test of time, but side by side, there's no contest.
The similarities come from Terence Winter.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #16
bronco67

Quote:
it's odd to me because it does keep me interested enough to keep watching through ~3 seasons now, that's ~30 episodes already (I couldn't get through the pilot of the wire on the other hand), so it is entertaining, but I'm not getting what about it made it so special back then.
Force yourself to get through the first 4 episodes of the Wire...then ask if yourself if you want to keep watching. I almost gave up, and was so glad I didn't. To this day it's still the most rewarding TV series watch I've ever had. I'm envious of those who haven't seen it yet and can experience it for the first time.

I would say stop watching The Sopranos and start The Wire.

Last edited by bronco67; 10-22-2014 at 10:38 AM..
bronco67 is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #17
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco67 View Post
The similarities come from Terence Winter.
I'll give him a google and see what's up.

so 4 episodes of the wire eh..........hmmmmm. that's doable.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #18
atom
Confirmed User

I agree, The Sopranos didn't hold my attention enough to finish watching the series where as Boardwalk Empire has.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #19
bronco67

Quote:

What I'm saying is it's a slow burner, but once it's on fire you won't want to stop watching. But you'll know if it's for you after the 4th or 5th episode.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #20
candyflip
Carpe Visio

Industry Role:
Quote:
I recently started doing the same thing with Sopranos and stopped just about where you're at. You're right about it not holding up.

Now I'm watching OZ and The Wire. Both of which are even better then I remember, and for me nothing is as good as The Wire.

Spend you some brain.
Email Me
candyflip is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #21
bronco67

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
I agree, The Sopranos didn't hold my attention enough to finish watching the series where as Boardwalk Empire has.
But they're two completely different kind of shows. I'd say Mad Men is closer to what The Sopranos is. A character study of a very flawed person. The mob activities/ad agency stuff is secondary to the character.

I think Boardwalk Empire is plot first, character second. It seems to be about plot point A to B from week to week, although I do like the exploration of Nucky's early life to give some context about why he is the way he is at the present.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #22
CDSmith
GFY HALL OF FAME DAMMIT!!!

Industry Role:
Location: My network is hosted at TECHIEMEDIA.net ...Wait, you meant where am *I* located at? Oh... okay, I'm in Winnipeg, Canada. Oops. :)
Quote:
Ok I'm good. I'll stick with BWE. Bummer it will be the last season, but at the same time its good they don't try and push it to far.
I did the exact same thing, watched it way back when, and then a few years ago watched all 86 episodes in about a two week period. Definitely stands thet test of time for me as well.

I also agree with the comment that it made more impact.

boardwalk is super good though. Both series are right up there in my mind, but Sopranos will always be king.

ALWAYS THE HIGHEST PAYOUTS: Big Bux/ImLive SIGNUP ON NOW!!!

Put some PUSSYCA$H in your pocket.
ICQ me at: 31024634
CDSmith is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #23
jimmycastor
So Fucking Banned

oz is much more fun then sopranos
its even more entertaining then boardwalk, but boardwalk has its own quality with
all the design and the quality of the cast. no comparsion possible with sopranos
never would watch sopranos a second time

Last edited by jimmycastor; 10-22-2014 at 11:01 AM..
jimmycastor is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #24
PR_Glen
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:

once lester freamon and omar get into the mix it changes the whole dynamic of the show. Thats why it takes about 4 episodes or so.. heh
Old 10-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #25
JerseyPuma
Confirmed User

i think sopranos was a great show that got worse over time. on the other hand, boardwalk was a good show that has become great.

i prefer the second.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #26
kane

Quote:
I think that's part of it for me, I'm not finding any redeemable qualities for most of the characters. the believable part, yes. easy to follow, yes. Right now, the most likable character for me is Carmela.
That is actually part of what made the Sopranos a groundbreaking show. It was one of the first times where the "hero" of the show was actually a bad guy.

If the Sopranos suffers one major issue it is that t was a victim of its own success. David Chase had intended for the show to have a specific arc, but when it became a huge hit HBO talked him into dragging it out for a few more seasons. As a result there are things that were added that likely wouldn't have been there otherwise and they can sometimes cause the show to lose some focus. Still, I think it was a brilliant show and it paved the way for shows like Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad.
kane is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #27
Cherry7
Confirmed User

Most shows go on for too long.

How long could you cook crystal meth with mobsters and not get killed? I wasn't he dying of cancer? Gets too silly.

The Sopranos had some amazing episodes of social criticism, the way Ralph brutally killed that young girl and Tony's love for his daughter. Brillant.

But the winner is the "The Wire" with its epic portrait on an American city, the war on drugs, failing police, education and government, and great actors, and each episode and series building on the last. No fake white hero and trusty black side kick nonsense, here a great show with tons of fantastic black actors, people you hate one minute and love the next...
Cherry7 is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #28
lezinterracial
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingMan View Post
My favorite scene in Boardwalk is when that villian from last season does an impersonation of Nucky.
]
The season with Gyp Rosetti was probably my favorite season.
lezinterracial is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #29
Mediamix
Dutch Webmaster!

Industry Role:
They both play in a different timezone.. Never seen Boardwalk Empire, but now I have too. Sopranos was more than great!
Old 10-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #30
VikingMan

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lezinterracial View Post
The season with Gyp Rosetti was probably my favorite season.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:12 AM   #31
John-ACWM
Work Work Work

Industry Role:
Quote:
same here
Old 10-23-2014, 03:12 AM   #32
VikingMan

Industry Role:
here is that breadstick in a bow tie scene. I love it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmRxMXnyGP8

and soon after
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKpA4Ge5Ldc
Post New Thread Reply
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >