Welcome to the GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post New Thread Reply

Register GFY Rules Calendar
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >
Discuss what's fucking going on, and which programs are best and worst. One-time "program" announcements from "established" webmasters are allowed.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
MaDalton
I am Amazing Content!

Industry Role:
Windows 10

What's wrong with the number 9?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/68...unced-official
MaDalton is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
fitzmulti
I Like Depth Of Field!

Industry Role:
{Conspiracy Theory}
Apple sells Beatles via iTunes.
Microsoft hates Apple...and wants to skip the "Number 9"...

www.SexyGirlsCash.com

CONTACT // FITZMULTI AT GMAIL.COM //
{Please include a message so I know you are from GFY! I get too many spam "add requests"!}
fitzmulti is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Porko
SeeMyBucks.com

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDalton View Post
Old 09-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
robwod
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
I saw this earlier. Unless I understood it wrong, having multiple customized desktops tailored to specific tasks (or clients, projects etc) that i can toggle in and out of with a single click sounds like a productivity initiative. If that's the intended functionality, I can see me getting on board with that rather quickly.

Last edited by robwod; 09-30-2014 at 01:01 PM..
robwod is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
MaDalton
I am Amazing Content!

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwod View Post
I saw this earlier. Unless I understood it wrong, having multiple customized desktops tailored to specific tasks (or clients, projects etc) that i can toggle in and out of with a single click sounds like a productivity initiative. If that's the intended functionality, I can see me getting on board with that rather quickly.
that's what I understand too - one OS for all the devices that adapts to how you use it

lets say you have a laptop with touchscreen - in that case it uses the Metro tile UI and switches automatically to "Windows 7" once you plug in a mouse and external keyboard

they basically now give everything to everyone
MaDalton is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
DamianJ
Too lazy to set a custom title

Industry Role:
Quote:
Yeah, it's good. Linux and OSX have had it for years. Works well.
DamianJ is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
robwod
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
that's what I understand too - one OS for all the devices that adapts to how you use it

lets say you have a laptop with touchscreen - in that case it uses the Metro tile UI and switches automatically to "Windows 7" once you plug in a mouse and external keyboard

What I am thinking is more along the lines of... with Windows 8.1, for example, I can have a specific Excel workbook, ftp connection, editpad, etc all open on say, the left monitor for one client. So we can call this "Desktop Client". On my central monitor, I can have an instance of firefox, ftp connection, ssh client, navicat sql, etc. We can call this "Development Desktop", and then yet another custom desktop of programs and tools for another task which "remembers" it is on my right monitor.

In Windows 8.1, it remembers each application and positions it exactly on the monitor where it was previously opened. I love this and the fact it has independent taskbars.

The way I am reading this new feature in Windows 10 is that I can create custom desktops for each monitor and tailor it to have specific tools, spreadsheets, docs, etc on a per desktop basis.

So, if client A calls me and needs something done, I can toggle "Client A Desktop" and it would display on its designated monitor, with all the information and tools to do with their account within a single click. If that's the case, sign me up.

Windows 8.1 already increases productivity. A feature like the one described above in Windows 10 would further increase it.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #8
mineistaken
See signature :)

Industry Role:
Start menu is back
mineistaken is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
robwod
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Damian, I've tried OSX, have an iMac, Ipad, I-everything and I just find myself going back to Windows all the time. It's not that i dislike Mac, not at all. The only thing I've ever tried from Apple I hated was the iPhone.. I actually like everything else, and especially the elegance of the UX. I just prefer my custom Windows machines for productivity.

I'm not saying OSX is an unproductive OS, just that I personally find myself more comfortable and productive on a custom Windows box. Just apples vs. oranges, dogs vs cats, Ford vs. Chevy, Pepsi vs. Coke.. it all comes down to what one personally prefers. I don't think either one is actually better... just what makes you more productive using it.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
MaDalton
I am Amazing Content!

Industry Role:
Quote:
What I am thinking is more along the lines of... with Windows 8.1, for example, I can have a specific Excel workbook, ftp connection, editpad, etc all open on say, the left monitor for one client. So we can call this "Desktop Client". On my central monitor, I can have an instance of firefox, ftp connection, ssh client, navicat sql, etc. We can call this "Development Desktop", and then yet another custom desktop of programs and tools for another task which "remembers" it is on my right monitor.

In Windows 8.1, it remembers each application and positions it exactly on the monitor where it was previously opened. I love this and the fact it has independent taskbars.

The way I am reading this new feature in Windows 10 is that I can create custom desktops for each monitor and tailor it to have specific tools, spreadsheets, docs, etc on a per desktop basis.

So, if client A calls me and needs something done, I can toggle "Client A Desktop" and it would display on its designated monitor, with all the information and tools to do with their account within a single click. If that's the case, sign me up.

Windows 8.1 already increases productivity. A feature like the one described above in Windows 10 would further increase it.
have you tried something like this?

http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

Unix (and that includes Mac OS) has always had that but i never really got used to it
Old 09-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
Klen

Industry Role:
Quote:
Damian, I've tried OSX, have an iMac, Ipad, I-everything and I just find myself going back to Windows all the time. It's not that i dislike Mac, not at all. The only thing I've ever tried from Apple I hated was the iPhone.. I actually like everything else, and especially the elegance of the UX. I just prefer my custom Windows machines for productivity.

I'm not saying OSX is an unproductive OS, just that I personally find myself more comfortable and productive on a custom Windows box. Just apples vs. oranges, dogs vs cats, Ford vs. Chevy, Pepsi vs. Coke.. it all comes down to what one personally prefers. I don't think either one is actually better... just what makes you more productive using it.
I more prefer pepsi then coke.

Inquiries which are not related to administration or advertising on GFY wont be processed.
Klen is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #12
Matt 26z
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
1. Win 1
2. Win 2
3. Win 3, 3.1
4. Win 95
5. Win 98, 98se, (98)me
6. Win xp
7. Win vista
8. Win 7
9. Win 8, 8.1
10. Win 10

The numbering of 7 is the one that was off, but they are now back on track.
Matt 26z is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
PAR
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:

MaDalton -
Wouldn't it be more like http://www.ubuntu.com/phone

MS, now has a tablet with a full windows OS that supports dual extended monitors, etc.. and other devices on the way.. It would not be a leap to then do a phone that is capable of the same... Add cloud based storage and you now have a fully convergent device..

One Device, One OS : depending on use and environment, it self adapts.
PAR is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #14
CDSmith
GFY HALL OF FAME DAMMIT!!!

Industry Role:
Location: My network is hosted at TECHIEMEDIA.net ...Wait, you meant where am *I* located at? Oh... okay, I'm in Winnipeg, Canada. Oops. :)
9 was Bobby Hull's number. It's retired. Because he's a legend. MS had no choice but to skip 9 and go to 10.

Bill Gates is a huge hockey fan. I thought everyone knew.

ALWAYS THE HIGHEST PAYOUTS: Big Bux/ImLive SIGNUP ON NOW!!!

Put some PUSSYCA$H in your pocket.
ICQ me at: 31024634
CDSmith is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #15
MaDalton
I am Amazing Content!

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR View Post
MaDalton -
Wouldn't it be more like http://www.ubuntu.com/phone

MS, now has a tablet with a full windows OS that supports dual extended monitors, etc.. and other devices on the way.. It would not be a leap to then do a phone that is capable of the same... Add cloud based storage and you now have a fully convergent device..

One Device, One OS : depending on use and environment, it self adapts.
possibly - no idea how they do it "under the hood"
Old 09-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #16
mOrrI
It's over there...

Industry Role:
Marketing?
Old 09-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #17
mineistaken
See signature :)

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 26z View Post
1. Win 1
2. Win 2
3. Win 3, 3.1
4. Win 95
5. Win 98, 98se, (98)me
6. Win xp
7. Win vista
8. Win 7
9. Win 8, 8.1
10. Win 10

It may explain why they skipped #9 (because of 95, 98).
mineistaken is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #18
Matt 26z
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
One of these days MS is going to get their ecosystem right and when that day comes, iOS and Android are toast.
Matt 26z is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
MPGdevil
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Microsoft press event now online.
From what I understand there will be only one app store, which means they will merge Windows and Windows Phone store? Then things start to get interesting.

http://microsoft-news.com/watch-it-n...ilable-online/
MPGdevil is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #20
Sly
Let's do some business!

Industry Role:
After the Windows 8 bomb, they internally needed to burn through Windows 9 to figure out what the fuck they were doing, and landed on Windows 10.

Sell me your: Paysites and Hosting Company. Buy my: Aged Domains and Sites
Sly is online now   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #21
NaughtyVisions
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlenTelaris View Post
I more prefer pepsi then coke.
+100
Old 09-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #22
XXXBizXXX
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
There must be a reason, Microsoft will explain it.
XXXBizXXX is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #23
EngineCash
Confirmed User

They say it's great... And about the name, it sounds better, Windows 10...

support(@)enginecash.com
EngineCash is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:34 AM   #24
seeandsee
Check SIG!

Industry Role:
i hope it will be good as win7

Contact here
seeandsee is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:06 AM   #25
bronco67

Coming in late 2015...

That means I'll be using windows 7 until late 2016.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #26
King-Servers

Industry Role:
windows 7 was the perfection of windows version
King-Servers is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #27
SomeCreep
:glugglug

Windows has gotten progressively worse over the years. XP was their last decent version. Ballmer really butt fucked that company good.

Webair Hosting

I use and recommend Webair for hosting.
SomeCreep is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #28
DamianJ

Industry Role:
Quote:

Absolutely. Whatever works for you, works for you. I was merely pointing out the idea of multiple desktops was originated in *nix and then used by OS X.
DamianJ is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #29
TommyM
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
I just got windows 10, and I must say, its looking like it gonna be the best windows edition so far, even though there is still many bugs in it...
TommyM is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #30
RyuLion

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly View Post
After the Windows 8 bomb, they internally needed to burn through Windows 9 to figure out what the fuck they were doing, and landed on Windows 10.
this plus $$$. nuf said.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #31
GregE
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco67 View Post
Coming in late 2015...

That means I'll be using windows 7 until late 2016.
Good plan.

50/50 lifetime payout - EXCLUSIVE CONTENT - CCBill
CLiCK here for your Bun Beating Dollars.
GregE is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #32
RyuLion

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyM View Post
I just got windows 10, and I must say, its looking like it gonna be the best windows edition so far, even though there is still many bugs in it...
Who are we kidding? Nothing new there..
Old 10-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #33
Due
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 26z View Post
1. Win 1
2. Win 2
3. Win 3, 3.1
4. Win 95
5. Win 98, 98se, (98)me
6. Win xp
7. Win vista
8. Win 7
9. Win 8, 8.1
10. Win 10

What about Windows 2000 and Windows.NT
Due is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:43 AM   #34
vdbucks
Monger Cash

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyM View Post
It's a "tech preview", of course there are going to be bugs...
vdbucks is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #35
jigg
Confirmed User

according one microsoftie on Reddit it's because many apps perform a look up for 95/98 versioning with 'Windows9*', that would trigger compatibility issues. It's the same reason why NT kernell has stayed on version 6 since Vista, otherwise if it were changed to 7 it would break most software which looks for v 6.x

Then according to Paul Thurott Microsoft named it Windows 10, because they wanted more distance from Windows 8, a symbol of the next version being a big upgrade or different from Windows 8.x

New rumor has it that MS may push the official release to May or June 2015, because the actual work is bigger than what most people think.

I'm on Windows 10 as my main OS and so far it's stable with no issues.
jigg is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:13 AM   #36
MaDalton
I am Amazing Content!

Industry Role:
i'm installing the preview on an old Toshiba laptop right now, let's see what happens
Old 10-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #37
MaDalton
I am Amazing Content!

Industry Role:
soo.... 7 year old laptop with 2 gb ram - now running Windows 10 with no issues so far

i am only missing the driver for the SD card reader and Toshiba stopped updating drivers for this model like 5 years ago

and i like what i see, Win 10 is what i had hoped for with Win 8
Old 10-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #38
incredibleworkethic
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Great!! Same here!
incredibleworkethic is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #39
pornmasta

Quote:
What's wrong with the number 9?
this is a banned number !

pornmasta is online now   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #40
shake
frc

Industry Role:
Win 10 is looking nice. I use Mac and Linux mostly, but I think I'll upgrade my Windows boxes when it comes out.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #41
edgeprod
Permanently Gone

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Due View Post
What about Windows 2000 and Windows.NT
Those were more server-side and workstation software, like Windows 2003 -- I wouldn't include them here.
edgeprod is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >