Welcome to the GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post New Thread Reply

Register GFY Rules Calendar
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >
Discuss what's fucking going on, and which programs are best and worst. One-time "program" announcements from "established" webmasters are allowed.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:48 AM   #1
Jel
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
what, in layman's (ie simpleton's) terms, is nginx, and how could it benefit me?

like the title says. I've googled, and get a load of tech stuff I don't understand. All I want to know is who would benefit from it. thanks in advance
Jel is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:53 AM   #2
Babaganoosh
♥♥♥ Likes Hugs ♥♥♥

Industry Role:
It's an alternative httpdaemon. Some people prefer it to Apache. It has a reputation for being fast and lightweight.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:01 AM   #3
Jel
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
thanks mate, but for what purpose? I stress: simpleton's terms

I have no idea what daemon is other than a vague idea it's to do with emails, and the same goes for apache, with a vague idea it's something to do with a server.

I have a vague idea nginx is something to do with delivering streaming video (thanks to Roald's thread) - other than that, I've no idea.

1. Should I be using it to deliver streaming video?
2. If so is it something I can say to my hosting company: I want nginx?
3. Do I need to do anything my end other than upload videos as normal?

thanks
Jel is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:10 AM   #4
Klen

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jel View Post
thanks mate, but for what purpose? I stress: simpleton's terms

I have no idea what daemon is other than a vague idea it's to do with emails, and the same goes for apache, with a vague idea it's something to do with a server.

I have a vague idea nginx is something to do with delivering streaming video (thanks to Roald's thread) - other than that, I've no idea.

thanks
I started to use it because i wanted to reduce server load/bandwidth/etc ,and as result also saved a lot of money as i did not had to get additional servers.

Inquiries which are not related to administration or advertising on GFY wont be processed.
Klen is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
TROLLENSTEIN
Server Monkey

Industry Role:
Well nginx is, in simple terms, a great solution to an old problem that plagued Apache (pre Apache 2.4.xx), and still does even after 2.4.xx. Namely, speed. Apache slows down under heavy load, because of its need to spawn new processes/threads to handle each new connection, thus consuming more and more server memory. It also creates new threads that must compete with others for access to server memory and CPU. Basically, this means there was an upper limit to how many connections (connections + CPU load + memory use = slooooow) that an Apache-based server could handle before it simply started to refuse new connections as it ran out of server resources. So you can tell this would be a big, big problem for heavy traffic websites. The old solution was to simply throw more servers at the problem to "fix" it, and many still do this right up to today. So nginx was developed to overcome this problem, and it does it with very, very good success. It handles server connections in a vastly more efficient way than Apache, the major difference is the threads that nginx uses/creates to handle server connections can handle many, many 1000s of connections each without the need to spawn more server processes so it uses vastly less CPU/memory resources, which in turn keeps the server chugging along nicely under loads that would crippled an older Apache server (pre Apache 2.4.xx).

So as to how nginx can benefit you it really depends on what type of sites you run, how much traffic you are getting, and your growth projections. If you have a simple blog network that does a few 1000 uniques a day a single decent budget box with Apache will handle that fine. But if you have a 1MIL+/uniques a day tube site you're obviously going to be looking at ways to make your site respond as fast as possible without costing more than you earn, and using nginx as a base (with caching on top like Varnish, etc, of course!) can help out a lot. So, in my opinion, it's a much better base to build off than Apache if you are going for a big site.

Depends on your site and how you want to handle the streams. If it's a normal blog/tgp/whatever, and just using affiliate content, then Apache will stream in HTTP/RTMP just fine. If it's a popular site, or you are growing it, then nginx is a better solution than Apache for doing this simply as KT above says it will reduce server loads/needs/specs (as it's much, much more efficient than Apache).

If you're on managed hosting then you can ask them to install for nginx for you, no problem. If your managing your own server you can install, compile, configure and deploy nginx in a matter of minutes. Best to read up on what bits/addons you want to build into nginx beforehand, of course.

Nope, nothing. Most of your videos (I'm assuming here, so forgive me if I'm wrong!) will be streaming via HTTP at the moment, nginx handles progressive downloads the same as Apache.

Hope this helps.
TROLLENSTEIN is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
Due
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Nginx is a webserver and a load balancer in one, it can direct traffic to other servers to spread the load to make scaling easier.
Due is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #7
Rob
I'm a great bowler.

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLENSTEIN View Post
Well nginx is, in simple terms, a great solution to an old problem that plagued Apache (pre Apache 2.4.xx), and still does even after 2.4.xx....
Here it is in simpleton terms:

Yo Well nginx iz, in simple terms, uh great solution ta an old problem dat plagued Apache (pre Apache 2.4.xx), an' still do even afta 2.4.xx. Namely, speed. Apache slows down under heavy load, cuz o' its need ta spawn new processes/threads ta handle each new connection, thus consuming mo' an' mo' server memory. It also creates new threads dat mus' compete wif others fo' access ta server memory an' CPU. Basically, dis here means dere wuz an upper limit ta how many connections (connections + CPU load + memory use = slooooow) dat an Apache-based server could handle 'bfoe it simply started ta refuse new connections as it ran out o' server resources. So you can tell dis here would be uh big, big problem fo' heavy traffic websites. da old solution wuz ta simply throw mo' servers at da problem ta "fix" it, an' many still do dis here right up ta this day.

So nginx wuz developed ta overcome dis here problem, an' it do it wif very, very pimp-tight success. It handles server connections in uh vastly mo' efficient way than Apache, da major difference iz da threads dat nginx uses/creates ta handle server connections can handle many, many 1000s o' connections each without da need ta spawn mo' server processes so it uses vastly less CPU/memory resources, which in turn keeps da server chugging along nicely under loads dat would crippled an older Apache server (pre Apache 2.4.xx).

So as ta how nginx can benefit you it really depends on what type o' sites you run, how much traffic you be getting, an' yo' growf projections. If you gots uh simple blog network dat do uh few 1000 uniques uh day uh single decent budget bawx wif Apache will handle dat fine. But if you gots uh 1MIL+/uniques uh day tube site you obviously going ta be looking at ways ta make yo' site respond as fast as possible without costing mo' than you earn, an' usin` nginx as uh base (wif caching on top like Varnish, etc, o' course!) can he`p out uh lot.

So, in muh motha fuckin opinion, it's uh much bettah base ta build off than Apache if you be going fo' uh big site.

1. Should ah be usin` it ta deliver streaming video?

Depends on yo' site an' how you wants ta handle da streams. If it's uh normal blog/tgp/whatever, an' just usin` affiliate content, then Apache will stream in HTTP/RTMP just fine. If it's uh popular site, or you be growing it, then nginx be uh bettah solution than Apache fo' doin' dis here simply as KT above says it will reduce server loads/needs/specs (as it's much, much mo' efficient than Apache).

2. If so iz it somethin` ah can say ta muh motha fuckin hosting company: ah wants nginx?

If you on managed hosting then you can ax dem ta install fo' nginx fo' you, nahh problem. If yo' managing yo' own server you can install, compile, configure an' deploy nginx in uh matter o' minutes. bomb ta read up on what bits/addons you wants ta build into nginx beforehand, o' course.

3. Do ah need ta do anythin` muh motha fuckin end other than upload videos as normal?

Nope, nuttin'. Most o' yo' videos (ah'm assuming here, so forgive me if ah'm wrong!) will be streaming via HTTP at da moment, nginx handles progressive downloads da same as Apache.

Hope dis here helps Ya' know what I'm sayin'?
Old 09-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
Jel
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLENSTEIN View Post
Well nginx is, in simple terms, a great solution to an old problem that plagued Apache (pre Apache 2.4.xx), and still does even after 2.4.xx. Namely, speed. Apache slows down under heavy load, because of its need to spawn new processes/threads to handle each new connection, thus consuming more and more server memory. It also creates new threads that must compete with others for access to server memory and CPU. Basically, this means there was an upper limit to how many connections (connections + CPU load + memory use = slooooow) that an Apache-based server could handle before it simply started to refuse new connections as it ran out of server resources. So you can tell this would be a big, big problem for heavy traffic websites. The old solution was to simply throw more servers at the problem to "fix" it, and many still do this right up to today. So nginx was developed to overcome this problem, and it does it with very, very good success. It handles server connections in a vastly more efficient way than Apache, the major difference is the threads that nginx uses/creates to handle server connections can handle many, many 1000s of connections each without the need to spawn more server processes so it uses vastly less CPU/memory resources, which in turn keeps the server chugging along nicely under loads that would crippled an older Apache server (pre Apache 2.4.xx).

So as to how nginx can benefit you it really depends on what type of sites you run, how much traffic you are getting, and your growth projections. If you have a simple blog network that does a few 1000 uniques a day a single decent budget box with Apache will handle that fine. But if you have a 1MIL+/uniques a day tube site you're obviously going to be looking at ways to make your site respond as fast as possible without costing more than you earn, and using nginx as a base (with caching on top like Varnish, etc, of course!) can help out a lot. So, in my opinion, it's a much better base to build off than Apache if you are going for a big site.

Depends on your site and how you want to handle the streams. If it's a normal blog/tgp/whatever, and just using affiliate content, then Apache will stream in HTTP/RTMP just fine. If it's a popular site, or you are growing it, then nginx is a better solution than Apache for doing this simply as KT above says it will reduce server loads/needs/specs (as it's much, much more efficient than Apache).

If you're on managed hosting then you can ask them to install for nginx for you, no problem. If your managing your own server you can install, compile, configure and deploy nginx in a matter of minutes. Best to read up on what bits/addons you want to build into nginx beforehand, of course.

Nope, nothing. Most of your videos (I'm assuming here, so forgive me if I'm wrong!) will be streaming via HTTP at the moment, nginx handles progressive downloads the same as Apache.

Hope this helps.
perfect, thanks mate that is much appreciated
Old 09-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
Jel
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Here it is in simpleton terms:

Yo Well nginx iz, in simple terms, uh great solution ta an old problem dat plagued Apache (pre Apache 2.4.xx), an' still do even afta 2.4.xx. Namely, speed. Apache slows down under heavy load, cuz o' its need ta spawn new processes/threads ta handle each new connection, thus consuming mo' an' mo' server memory. It also creates new threads dat mus' compete wif others fo' access ta server memory an' CPU. Basically, dis here means dere wuz an upper limit ta how many connections (connections + CPU load + memory use = slooooow) dat an Apache-based server could handle 'bfoe it simply started ta refuse new connections as it ran out o' server resources. So you can tell dis here would be uh big, big problem fo' heavy traffic websites. da old solution wuz ta simply throw mo' servers at da problem ta "fix" it, an' many still do dis here right up ta this day.

So nginx wuz developed ta overcome dis here problem, an' it do it wif very, very pimp-tight success. It handles server connections in uh vastly mo' efficient way than Apache, da major difference iz da threads dat nginx uses/creates ta handle server connections can handle many, many 1000s o' connections each without da need ta spawn mo' server processes so it uses vastly less CPU/memory resources, which in turn keeps da server chugging along nicely under loads dat would crippled an older Apache server (pre Apache 2.4.xx).

So as ta how nginx can benefit you it really depends on what type o' sites you run, how much traffic you be getting, an' yo' growf projections. If you gots uh simple blog network dat do uh few 1000 uniques uh day uh single decent budget bawx wif Apache will handle dat fine. But if you gots uh 1MIL+/uniques uh day tube site you obviously going ta be looking at ways ta make yo' site respond as fast as possible without costing mo' than you earn, an' usin` nginx as uh base (wif caching on top like Varnish, etc, o' course!) can he`p out uh lot.

So, in muh motha fuckin opinion, it's uh much bettah base ta build off than Apache if you be going fo' uh big site.

1. Should ah be usin` it ta deliver streaming video?

Depends on yo' site an' how you wants ta handle da streams. If it's uh normal blog/tgp/whatever, an' just usin` affiliate content, then Apache will stream in HTTP/RTMP just fine. If it's uh popular site, or you be growing it, then nginx be uh bettah solution than Apache fo' doin' dis here simply as KT above says it will reduce server loads/needs/specs (as it's much, much mo' efficient than Apache).

2. If so iz it somethin` ah can say ta muh motha fuckin hosting company: ah wants nginx?

If you on managed hosting then you can ax dem ta install fo' nginx fo' you, nahh problem. If yo' managing yo' own server you can install, compile, configure an' deploy nginx in uh matter o' minutes. bomb ta read up on what bits/addons you wants ta build into nginx beforehand, o' course.

3. Do ah need ta do anythin` muh motha fuckin end other than upload videos as normal?

Nope, nuttin'. Most o' yo' videos (ah'm assuming here, so forgive me if ah'm wrong!) will be streaming via HTTP at da moment, nginx handles progressive downloads da same as Apache.

Hope dis here helps Ya' know what I'm sayin'?

and I thought *I* had too much free time on my hands... nice job
Post New Thread Reply
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >