Welcome to the GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post New Thread Reply

Register GFY Rules Calendar
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >
Discuss what's fucking going on, and which programs are best and worst. One-time "program" announcements from "established" webmasters are allowed.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
mineistaken
See signature :)

Industry Role:
Motorcycle owners - advice me on my first bike and some questions

I always wanted 2 wheels, but was reluctant because I always hear about deaths and so on.. Pretty dangerous hobby. Anyway I decided to give it a go as I know myself that I am careful driver/rider and not much into over speeding or any other antics.

So I am reading that the first bike should be sterrtbike/roadster as it is easiest one to ride on the city streets.
Something like XJ6 is easy to handle and recommended for beginners:

Do you agree?

Second question - Am I right that the core difference between streetbike like this and sport bike like R6 is that R6 is more for speed on highway + not that comfortable sitting position + clipons instead of real "wheel" which make it harder to navigate (takes more space to turn around for example?)on the streets?

Third question: Besides steet bikes I also fancy cruiser style bikes:

How do they compare to street/roadsters? I assume it is completely different driving style? And not as easy to handle for beginners?

Thanks
mineistaken is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
MaDalton
I am Amazing Content!

Industry Role:
Honda CB 500x - also a good beginners bike

i wouldn't recommend a chopper for a beginner
MaDalton is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
candyflip
Carpe Visio

Industry Role:
Lots of nice beginner bikes, but I wouldn't buy anything unless it has HONDA stamped on the side of it.

Spend you some brain.
Email Me
candyflip is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
onwebcam
Fake Nick 1.0

Industry Role:
Got my son a GZ250 about 6 months ago for his first bike. It's been a good learner as far as riding as well as tinkering. Just enough to keep him on the roadways and off the highways. He's turned it into a bobber now.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
newxxx
Creative3Dcash.com

Industry Role:
:tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
Lots of nice beginner bikes, but I wouldn't buy anything unless it has HONDA stamped on the side of it.
Honda Click 125 :D
newxxx is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
brassmonkey
Pay It Forward

Industry Role:

try to top that
brassmonkey is online now   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
Vendzilla
Biker Gnome

Industry Role:
Take a safety class, I saw people go in that have never been on a bike and do well b y the time they left in just two days.
Find yourself a Harley Sportster, you can find a used one for less than 5k and will have a bike that is pretty comfortable to ride. All be it too small for me.
Then from there, you can sell the sportster for what you paid for it and get what you really want!!
I can get you a deal on a sportster in Los Angeles area if you are close

Then there is the new Indian Scout, like the sportster with 1200 cc, this will do anything you want and look cool

Carbon is not the problem, it makes up 0.041% of our atmosphere , 95% of that is from Volcanos and decomposing plants and stuff. So people in the US are responsible for 13% of the carbon in the atmosphere which 95% is not from Humans, like cars and trucks and stuff and they want to spend trillions to fix it while Solar Panel plants are powered by coal plants
think about that
Vendzilla is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #8
Rochard
Jägermeister Test Pilot

Industry Role:
Get a "starter" bike for you to learn on.

YNOT MAIL | THE BEST ADULT MAILING SOLUTION
Rochard is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
Vendzilla
Biker Gnome

Industry Role:
This what I ride
Carbon is not the problem, it makes up 0.041% of our atmosphere , 95% of that is from Volcanos and decomposing plants and stuff. So people in the US are responsible for 13% of the carbon in the atmosphere which 95% is not from Humans, like cars and trucks and stuff and they want to spend trillions to fix it while Solar Panel plants are powered by coal plants
think about that
Vendzilla is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
mineistaken

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendzilla View Post
This what I ride
Nobody answered to my third question about riding style differences, but I read it in other place and now I am certain that I do not want a cruiser style bike anymore.
I will be going with Xj6 or similar.
mineistaken is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
in2deep
Confirmed User

get a automatic bigger scooter to learn first
in2deep is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
dillonaire
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineistaken View Post
Nobody answered to my third question about riding style differences, but I read it in other place and now I am certain that I do not want a cruiser style bike anymore.
I will be going with Xj6 or similar.

You dont want an old man bike. Too heavy, they dont stop quick, dont corner good, and harder to get chicks. Get a nice sporty bike. Light, easier to ride and maneuver around stuff. Its best to have a light bike when you first start out that you sit upright on.

Some great bikes:

Hypermotard (ducati)

KTM 690 DUKE ABS

ABS is awesome to have on a bike at any level, but especially for a beginner.

"Deja moo - The feeling you've heard this Bull before."

Email: [email protected]
dillonaire is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #13
Mr Pheer
Mark Osterholt Sucks Cock

Industry Role:
My current ride.

I've owned 30 bikes. All kinds. Cruisers, sportbikes, touring, sport-touring, dirtbikes, and dual-sports.

If you want something sporty, get a Honda CB300F, Honda CB500F, or Kawasaki Ninja 300ABS if you want a new bike.

Or just do yourself a favor from the beginning and grab a Suzuki SV650 if you want a good used bike that you wont ever get tired of.

Take a motorcycle safety course. Buy a good helmet and wear it. Wear pants, riding gloves, a good riding jacket, and motorcycle boots. Not a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. If it too hot for your gear, it's too hot to ride. Trust me you'd rather sweat than bleed.

And get medical insurance. If you cant afford insurance, you cant afford to ride.
Mr Pheer is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #14
MK Ultra
Confirmed User

It depends on what kind of riding you see yourself doing.

Sportbikes are for the more "racing" style of riding, ass up higher than your hands, high speeds, tight turns etc. just make sure your organ-donor card is filled out.

Cruisers are for more relaxed riding, you are leaning back with your feet further forward, just seeing the sights.

In between is the retro type of streetbike, Honda put out a reissue of the historic CB series the CB 1100, thinking about getting one of those little canyon-cutters myself
http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb...20cb1100_pmt_p

The advice I always give a beginner who wants to get their first bike and start riding is search craigslist for a used Honda Rebel 250, it's not fast or sexy but it's cheap, easy to handle and learn on, easier to pass your license test on, and you can sell it for almost what you paid for it 6 months down the road after you decide what kind of bike you want to spend the bigger money on.

And since Vendzilla posted a pic of his bike I can't let that go unanswered.
Here's mine

Last edited by MK Ultra; 08-05-2014 at 05:03 PM..
MK Ultra is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #15
mineistaken

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelinkjeff View Post
You dont want an old man bike. Too heavy, they dont stop quick, dont corner good, and harder to get chicks. Get a nice sporty bike. Light, easier to ride and maneuver around stuff. Its best to have a light bike when you first start out that you sit upright on.

Some great bikes:

Hypermotard (ducati)

KTM 690 DUKE ABS

ABS is awesome to have on a bike at any level, but especially for a beginner.
Yes, you mentioned few of the reasons why I am no longer interested in "old mans bike".

Hypermotard is like a supermoto style, I do not fancy them, looks almost like dirt bikes... Just do not like the style

KTM Duke looks sexy:

Although it is 1 cylinder bike, I read that 4 cylinders would be better for city riding. Or not?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #16
mineistaken

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pheer View Post
If you want something sporty, get a Honda CB300F, Honda CB500F, or Kawasaki Ninja 300ABS if you want a new bike.

Or just do yourself a favor from the beginning and grab a Suzuki SV650 if you want a good used bike that you wont ever get tired of.
I am no expert at all, but isn't Ninja completely different thing than CB300/500F and SV650?
Ninja being sports bike and rest if them being street/roadster bikes?
As you can see in my second question - I prefer sitting straight instead of "sports style" and also maneuvering in the city is harder with sports bike.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #17
Seth Manson
Please dont fuck animals

Industry Role:
Quote:
I am no expert at all, but isn't Ninja completely different thing than CB300/500F and SV650?
As you can see in my second question - I prefer sitting straight instead of "sports style" and also maneuvering in the city is harder with sports bike.
It shares a name with Kawasaki's lineup of super-sportbikes, but it's really a beginner machine. It does have a sportier riding posture though.

I've never met anyone that owned a Suzuki SV650 and didnt like it. I've met several people that sold theirs and wished they had kept it. I think that would be more your style. My favorite was the 2006 without the sport fairing.
Seth Manson is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #18
mikesouth
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Theres good advice here the best being FIRST take a riding class.

SECOND you need to determine what kind of riding you will want to do because only that will determine what kind of bike to buy. If you want to do long all day rides you need something comfy, you dont want to be hunched over it.

Finally I know that Harleys all the rage but unless you can do the maintenance yourself do yourself a favor and forget them, they are expensive to maintain and in my experience they constantly need work. Any of the Japanese bikes are a better choice unless you like doing motorcycle maintenance.

I'm partial to Suzukis myself.

It's No wonder I took up drugs and alcohol, it's the only way I could dumb myself down enough to cope with the morons in this biz.
mikesouth is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #19
Mr Pheer

Industry Role:
Quote:
Hit google images and you can see what the bikes look like. Kawasaki makes a Ninja 650R with a very relaxed (meaning more upright) riding position. The only bad thing about bikes with fairings, is that when you drop your bike (and you will because you're new) you'll fuck up the fairings. Then you either spend a few hundred for a new fairing, or ride around with a fucked up fairing so everyone can see that you dropped your bike.
Mr Pheer is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #20
SongRider
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Go to a few different dealers and sit on a BUNCH of bikes and ask questions... When you sit on the right one you will know! It will feel right.
SongRider is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #21
dillonaire
Confirmed User

Quote:
Yes, you mentioned few of the reasons why I am no longer interested in "old mans bike".

Hypermotard is like a supermoto style, I do not fancy them, looks almost like dirt bikes... Just do not like the style

KTM Duke looks sexy:

Although it is 1 cylinder bike, I read that 4 cylinders would be better for city riding. Or not?
The Duke is super sexy! Maybe check out the Ducati Monster 696. Great bike. Ive got the Monster 796 ABS.

I do 80% of my riding in San Francisco. So I am a city rider which is very different than how and where most people ride. I split lanes, ride on sidewalks, and dodge crazy peddle bikes, pedestrians and cars. I find a motorcycle where you can sit up right is the best option for city riding. Cruisers you lean to far back and they are hard to maneuver. Sport Bikes you are too far over the gas tank to be dodging stuff, seeing road hazards and stopping all the time.

I second or third what everyone said about taking a safety class. Best $200 - $300 you will spend on your riding career.

dillonaire is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #22
dillonaire
Confirmed User

Quote:
Hit google images and you can see what the bikes look like. Kawasaki makes a Ninja 650R with a very relaxed (meaning more upright) riding position. The only bad thing about bikes with fairings, is that when you drop your bike (and you will because you're new) you'll fuck up the fairings. Then you either spend a few hundred for a new fairing, or ride around with a fucked up fairing so everyone can see that you dropped your bike.

YOu are right. he will drop his bike Frame Sliders are a solid investment. More than pay for themselves if and when the bike is put down.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #23
Mr Pheer

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesouth View Post
Finally I know that Harleys all the rage but unless you can do the maintenance yourself do yourself a favor and forget them, they are expensive to maintain and in my experience they constantly need work. Any of the Japanese bikes are a better choice unless you like doing motorcycle maintenance.
Modern Harleys are as good as any other bike. They got a bad rep when AMC owned them and used cheap parts and bad gaskets.

I do all my own repairs and maintenance, and I've had to work on my Japanese bikes way more than my Harleys. Harleys are simple machines with simple maintenance schedules.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #24
mineistaken

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelinkjeff View Post
Frame Sliders are a solid investment. More than pay for themselves if and when the bike is put down.
Does that apply to naked bikes (no fairings to break) as well?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #25
newxxx
Creative3Dcash.com

Industry Role:
Quote:
you'd rather sweat than bleed.

And get medical insurance. If you cant afford insurance, you cant afford to ride.
100% true
newxxx is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #26
mineistaken

Industry Role:
Quote:
Isn't it a given? I mean how otherwise I would get my motorcycle license?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #27
mineistaken

Industry Role:
Quote:
Take a motorcycle safety course. Buy a good helmet and wear it. Wear pants, riding gloves, a good riding jacket, and motorcycle boots. Not a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. If it too hot for your gear, it's too hot to ride. Trust me you'd rather sweat than bleed.
Safety is first with me always. I am wondering though - do these clothes breathe? What temperatures are those when you REALLY sweat in them?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #28
dillonaire
Confirmed User

Quote:
Does that apply to naked bikes (no fairings to break) as well?
Yes cuz you will still scratch your frame up and stuff. They are cheap ($100 - $250). Worth every penny. I have them on all my bikes.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #29
Mr Pheer

Industry Role:
Quote:
Safety is first with me always. I am wondering though - do these clothes breathe? What temperatures are those when you REALLY sweat in them?
You can buy different types. I have several depending for what time of year it is. During the summer, I ride with a mesh jacket. It's not as much protection as full leather but it's much better than just a t-shirt. Most riding jackets have vents that you can open and close, so if it gets warm, just vent it. Most of them have liners that zip in easily, so if it gets cold, put the liner in it. You can even buy heated liners with thermostats and plug them into your bike.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #30
onwebcam
Fake Nick 1.0

Industry Role:
Quote:

SECOND you need to determine what kind of riding you will want to do because only that will determine what kind of bike to buy. If you want to do long all day rides you need something comfy, you dont want to be hunched over it.

I'm partial to Suzukis myself.
I'd have to agree. After getting rid of my very last crotch rocket last year I began the hunt. I almost went Harley a number of times but really wanted style and dependability. After I bought my current ride my good riding friend had to make a move to and decided to go with a Harley, long story short his has been in the shop all summer while I've been out riding.

My current

Last edited by onwebcam; 08-05-2014 at 06:50 PM..
onwebcam is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #31
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
I'd suggest not buying the bike until after you take the course. Course provided bikes here are in the 250cc size and typically standard riding position so you will get a feel for what size motor you will feel comfortable with and get a feel for the standard riding position. It will help narrow buying choices. And always wear good gloves.
dyna mo is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #32
mineistaken

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna mo View Post
I'd suggest not buying the bike until after you take the course.
Well that is obvious. Like not buying a car until you take a course
I already know what kind of bike I want - street bike/roadster. And I know what kind of bikes I don't want - sports bike and cruisers.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #33
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
Quote:
Well that is obvious. Like not buying a car until you take a course
I already know what kind of bike I want - street bike/roadster. And I know what kind of bikes I don't want - sports bike and cruisers.
I've ridden bikes 40 years and not once have I ever come across another rider who bought their bike after taking lessons but keep thinking you know what's obvious about motorcycles and I assure you you will fast become a statistic.
dyna mo is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #34
SmutHammer
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
I read through a few things that some people posted but figured I would just skip down to my opinion. Don't go so small that you will out grow your bike to fast and of course don't go to big at first either. 600cc should be about perfect. If you go to a sport bike get a GSXR 600 or a 600 CBR, My First bike I think is a great starter bike, Not sure if they still make them or not but I had a 600 Yamaha yzf (not a crotch rocket). Upgrade your exhaust right away so people know your around and don't just pull into your lane. Most bike accidents are caused from other people on the road.

Don't forget that everyone goes down at some point!
SmutHammer is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #35
baddog
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
Quote:
Is there anything you are more clueless on than motorcycles?
baddog is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #36
SongRider
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog View Post
Is there anything you are more clueless on than motorcycles?

I RIDE my Harley daily.

My Buddy Has had his 1978 FLH (AMF) Harley for over 30 years and he still rides it as well...

Keep them maintained like ANY bike and they will last...
SongRider is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:07 AM   #37
MaDalton
I am Amazing Content!

Industry Role:
Quote:

KTM Duke looks sexy:

i like that one too

and 1 or 4 cylinders don't make a difference in the city - 1 cylinder just sounds better ;)

edit: I used to ride Yamaha XTs - 250, 550 and 600 - also just 1 cylinder - i like that a lot

Last edited by MaDalton; 08-06-2014 at 02:10 AM..
MaDalton is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:16 AM   #38
Paully
www.Max-Hardcore.com

Industry Role:
I hope you all get motos. I need a liver. Don't forget helmets are for pussies and speed is just something to exceed.

CCBill Affiliates Let's Make Some Monies!

Paullybadboy [@] gmail.com ICQ 631384423

Last edited by Paully; 08-06-2014 at 02:18 AM..
Paully is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #39
mineistaken

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna mo View Post
I've ridden bikes 40 years and not once have I ever come across another rider who bought their bike after taking lessons but keep thinking you know what's obvious about motorcycles and I assure you you will fast become a statistic.
Maybe different cultures then. I can not even imagine you starting to ride your bike before getting a license (which means riding lessons).
Old 08-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #40
Vendzilla
Biker Gnome

Industry Role:
The only work I do to my 15 year old Harley is change the oil, replace a tire when needed.

What's good about a Harley, is bike nights at the local pubs or all the chrome that lights up. Harley makes a damn good bike, saying it doesn't shows how little you know about the company.

You can own and ride the same Harley for 30 years and it will still be cool, ride the same Jap bike for 5 years and it will look old!
think about that
Old 08-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #41
TubeSubmitters
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Testdrive the different styles first of all... They are very different. No reason not to get a cruiser as a starter bike.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #42
candyflip
Carpe Visio

Industry Role:
I've owned a few bikes, and my most favorite bike ever is great for beginners. If you're able to find one, they're affordable too. IF...you're able to find one.

This bike was WAY ahead of it's time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NT650

Spend you some brain.
Email Me
candyflip is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #43
PR_Glen
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendzilla View Post
The only work I do to my 15 year old Harley is change the oil, replace a tire when needed.

What's good about a Harley, is bike nights at the local pubs or all the chrome that lights up. Harley makes a damn good bike, saying it doesn't shows how little you know about the company.

You can own and ride the same Harley for 30 years and it will still be cool, ride the same Jap bike for 5 years and it will look old!
old japanese bikes look just as cool for the most part, they just don't have all the hype behind them.

I took most of these guys advice this past winter and they were pretty bang on for what i needed to do including starting with a smaller ride. i did all the reading, went over hundreds of safety vids on my own, did the course (which is fun as hell anyway) and learned a lot. Unfortunately the course didn't cover much regarding defensive driving. Most problems on the road can be avoided by anticipating problems before they happen. Riding around town on a bicycle has taught me more than enough over the years so if you have any cycling background i find it can come in handy.

maybe someone knows the statistics better than i do, but are accident statistics skewed any by racing bikes opposed to cruisers?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #44
MaDalton
I am Amazing Content!

Industry Role:
for many years we used to joke about Harleys that spent more time standing in the emergency lane than driving...

but i am pretty sure that got better since the 90ties
Old 08-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #45
L-Pink
working on my tan

Industry Role:
You missed talking about the most important factor, what's your experience level? There are two types of riders, those that have wrecked and those that are going to wreck.

Learning the repercussions of going to fast and deep into a turn as an adult on a street bike are much different than doing the same as a 12 year old on a dirt bike. Driver error on the road, in traffic, can be a cruel way to learn. If you have zero experience you have zero positive habits and no natural reflexes based on experience.

If you've never ridden before get a good used on-off road/dirt bike and put the miles on it. Then branch out into the world of cars and drivers who don't see you.

Here's another tip: you will challenge your bikes capabilities and right now your skill level is pretty low. Don't over buy at this time or the bike can get you in over your head.
L-Pink is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #46
L-Pink
working on my tan

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR_Glen View Post
maybe someone knows the statistics better than i do, but are accident statistics skewed any by racing bikes opposed to cruisers?
Sure they are. If I was riding a Ducati I would eventually want to see how fast the top end is (obviously higher than my Harley). I would want to see how fast I can take a turn (my Harley's pegs would touch so leaning hard into a turn is pointless). Doing something over my skill level is harder on a Harley than say a Suzuki Hayabusa.

Taking a vehicle to it's limits is natural and racing bikes encourage a rider to test these limits vs a bike like a Honda or Harley cruiser.

Last edited by L-Pink; 08-06-2014 at 08:32 AM..
L-Pink is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #47
Vendzilla
Biker Gnome

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR_Glen View Post
old japanese bikes look just as cool for the most part, they just don't have all the hype behind them.

I took most of these guys advice this past winter and they were pretty bang on for what i needed to do including starting with a smaller ride. i did all the reading, went over hundreds of safety vids on my own, did the course (which is fun as hell anyway) and learned a lot. Unfortunately the course didn't cover much regarding defensive driving. Most problems on the road can be avoided by anticipating problems before they happen. Riding around town on a bicycle has taught me more than enough over the years so if you have any cycling background i find it can come in handy.

There is a safety class, most most of those companies offer a high speed class, which I'm going to take in a couple months when things quiet down for me. Riding a bicycle and yes is comes in handy a little, but more than that, it's learning how to ride a motorcycle at a slow speed, it's not as easy when the bike weighs 800lbs without you on it.

Cruisers I think would be safer because of the way they are ridden. At drivers in cars can hear you better with the louder pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDalton View Post
for many years we used to joke about Harleys that spent more time standing in the emergency lane than driving...

but i am pretty sure that got better since the 90ties
AMF bikes had problems, Mine is a 2000, first Harley with the 88 and fuel injection. It's a great bike, never a problem, easy to maintain. The new bikes coming out now are even better. Water cooled 110 ci motors, they are beasts!
think about that
Old 08-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #48
PR_Glen
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Pink View Post
Sure they are. If I was riding a Ducati I would eventually want to see how fast the top end is (obviously higher than my Harley). I would want to see how fast I can take a turn (my Harley's pegs would touch so leaning hard into a turn is pointless ). Doing something over my head is harder on a Harley than say a Suzuki Hayabusa.

Taking a vehicle to it's limits is natural and racing bikes encourage a rider to test these limits vs a bike like a Honda or Harley cruiser.
yeah I guess i already knew the answer to that being the insurance prices are triple on avg, at least in these parts.

I love cruisers too much myself. older the better
Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #49
scuba steve
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Pink View Post
Sure they are. If I was riding a Ducati I would eventually want to see how fast the top end is (obviously higher than my Harley). I would want to see how fast I can take a turn (my Harley's pegs would touch so leaning hard into a turn is pointless). Doing something over my skill level is harder on a Harley than say a Suzuki Hayabusa.

this is actually spot on. i almost bought a ducati monster two weeks ago. (still might). but hopping on, it was like all i could see were possibilities that my honda shadow doesn't offer me, and makes me want to test them.

i started on a sportster, went to the shadow. i like both, prefer the honda actually (i'm not a harley hater, just preferred the shadow over it). i wanted the ducati for zipping around the city, quick stuff. but l-pink has a point...

sounds dumb, but until you wreck out or crash, which hopefully isn't serious, you won't respect the bike. luckily i learned my lesson on a honda cbr 250 enduro
Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #50
EngineCash
Confirmed User

That's a nice bike...

support(@)enginecash.com
EngineCash is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >