Welcome to the GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post New Thread Reply

Register GFY Rules Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >
Discuss what's fucking going on, and which programs are best and worst. One-time "program" announcements from "established" webmasters are allowed.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #1
Barefootsies
Choice is an Illusion

Industry Role:
:stoned Attention Robbie - Healthcare Blue Book

This story reminded me of you based on some of the stories you have shared in regards to your healthcare situations of the past, and the difference between cash and using insurance. It was an informative segment, and I did not know such a thing existed. Enjoy.

Quote:
Health Care Bluebook' Offers Local Medical Prices

Health Care Bluebook describes itself as a guide to the going rate for specific health care services in various parts of the country. Insurance companies have been complaining about big, arbitrary-seeming bills from medical providers.

With Health Care Bluebook, just type in the service you're looking for and your ZIP code, and the "private and independently owned resource" spits out a price. Consumerist took it for a spin:

I tried "nasal endoscopy," a procedure that my New York doctor recently billed about $400 for. According to the Blue Book, the standard cost for this in my area is $386. So my doctor's price is about right. If my doctor charged $800, however, I could print out the estimate on the Blue Book site and use it to haggle with my doctor.

I'm interested in the results you folks get. What's an appendectomy going for in your neighborhood?
FULL STORY

Link1 | Link2 | Link3

Enough Said.

"Would you rather live like a king for a year or like a prince forever?"
Barefootsies is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Rochard
Jägermeister Test Pilot

Industry Role:
The dirty little secret is shit really costs a lot less than what they charge you.

My kid broke her leg years ago, and it happened when we didn't have health insurance. We quickly discovered that there are two prices - one doctors charge for people with insurance, and then the "other" rate". Even for physical therapy there was a discount non insurance rate.

This has noting to with Obamacare really; This was long before anyone knew Obama existed. The truth is people with insurance pay the healthcosts for people who don't have insurance.

YNOT MAIL | THE BEST ADULT MAILING SOLUTION
Rochard is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #3
Barefootsies
Choice is an Illusion

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochard View Post
The dirty little secret is shit really costs a lot less than what they charge you.

My kid broke her leg years ago, and it happened when we didn't have health insurance. We quickly discovered that there are two prices - one doctors charge for people with insurance, and then the "other" rate". Even for physical therapy there was a discount non insurance rate.
You are correct fine sire.

When I did not have insurance, a DR's visit cost me $65.00 cash. When I added insurance later, that same DR's visit now cost me literally no less than $120.00. That is a fairly sizable difference considering I was going in for the same stuff, like refills, and the price is dramatically more expensive.

Link1 | Link2 | Link3

Enough Said.

Barefootsies is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
Quine
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
I have bleeding disorder (genetic) called hemophilia. My blood doesn't contain clotting factor so my bleeding can't stop. For example, if I pull out a tooth, I'll bleed until I die. I've been looking at the link you provided and it says HEMOFIL M: 250iu, 1 day supply costs 287$. I use around 20 000iu monthly, that's probably more than 20 000$ monthly, I live in a country with socialized medicine.
Interesting thing is, the patients in USA have better care than most people in the world, how's that possible?

-The absolute ruler may be a Nero, but he is sometimes Titus or Marcus Aurelius; the people is often Nero, and never Marcus Aurelius.
Quine is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
RyuLion

Industry Role:
Robbie is having hot sex right now so doesn't care about GFY right now..
Old 03-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
Barefootsies
Choice is an Illusion

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quine View Post
Interesting thing is, the patients in USA have better care than most people in the world, how's that possible?
http://publichealthonline.gwu.edu/us...-vs-the-world/

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...her-countries/

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...of-world-obama

Depending on what you define as "the best".

Link1 | Link2 | Link3

Enough Said.

Last edited by Barefootsies; 03-21-2014 at 08:13 AM..
Old 03-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
Quine
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
Depending on what you define as "the best".
I was thinking in case of hemophilia. It's a genetic disease and insurance companies can know if the child will have it and cost of treatment over the years will for sure pass 2 million $.

-The absolute ruler may be a Nero, but he is sometimes Titus or Marcus Aurelius; the people is often Nero, and never Marcus Aurelius.
Quine is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
baddog
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
As many of you know, goodgirl had been misdiagnosed with RA for 10 years at a cost of about $500k. On my birthday last year it was discovered that what the problem really was was a vitamin deficiency. She has essentially stopped going to doctors because no one knows how to treat that so she has been taking care of it herself.

As a result, she was no longer entitled or needed the insurance she had and she jumped right on the California Care bandwagon. Yesterday she called her previous doctor because she needed a form filled out. The receptionist said they do not accept ObamaCare/California Care. When asked how much it would cost to just come in and get the form filled out on her own dime she was given the runaround for 15 minutes before the receptionist said it could cost up to $1,000 if she does not have insurance they accept.
baddog is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
arock10
Confirmed User

Quote:
I have bleeding disorder (genetic) called hemophilia. My blood doesn't contain clotting factor so my bleeding can't stop. For example, if I pull out a tooth, I'll bleed until I die. I've been looking at the link you provided and it says HEMOFIL M: 250iu, 1 day supply costs 287$. I use around 20 000iu monthly, that's probably more than 20 000$ monthly, I live in a country with socialized medicine.
We don't have the best, we have the most expensive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization_ranking_of_health_system s_in_2000#Ranking

Last edited by arock10; 03-21-2014 at 09:31 AM..
arock10 is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
baddog
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arock10 View Post
We don't have the best, we have the most expensive
Who has better?
baddog is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
arock10
Confirmed User

Another good one

http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data...care-countries
Old 03-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
The Heron
Confirmed User

Quote:
My GF is a pharmacist and helped setup a Hemophilia clinic, the pricing and billing for that is crazy complicated in the usa. And then they end up with actual physical checks for 100k+ just sitting on a desk because the hospital and insurance companies are too stupid to do electronic payments. It's all insane when you are dealing with such expensive drugs.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #13
Quine
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heron View Post
My GF is a pharmacist and helped setup a Hemophilia clinic, the pricing and billing for that is crazy complicated in the usa. And then they end up with actual physical checks for 100k+ just sitting on a desk because the hospital and insurance companies are too stupid to do electronic payments. It's all insane when you are dealing with such expensive drugs.
Yeah, genetic disorders like hemophilia are a strong argument against privatization of medicine (although, I think USA is mixed -> state has a great influence) because why would a private insurance accept someone who will for sure cost them couple of million $. I read somewhere a story about a guy from USA with severe hemophilia reaching his 18th birthday without any joint injury. That is really something amazing and I doubt even richest countries with fully socialized medicine achieved that. I have one knee and elbow damaged. Maybe charities help in USA.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #14
AmeliaG
Too lazy to set a custom title

The reason doctors charge more for patients with insurance is that it costs doctors a lot to file all that paperwork to try to get money out of your insurance company. They often get paid way after they take care of you.

With cash patients, the doctor has much lower administrative costs and gets the money immediately. (Time value of money <-- look it up)

Patients with insurance do NOT subsidize cash patients. Patients with insurance subsidize wealthy insurers.
AmeliaG is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >