Welcome to the GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post New Thread Reply

Register GFY Rules Calendar
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >
Discuss what's fucking going on, and which programs are best and worst. One-time "program" announcements from "established" webmasters are allowed.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
TidalWave
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Need to sue LADWP - what kind of lawyer do I need?

I moved out of my downtown LA condo Oct 2013. I called to end service. I moved to the OC with a different utility.

Apparently, they never turned off/transferred the units power, and whoever moved in there has been using power to the tune of $300-$500/month.

Now they are sending me invoices for this shit at my new address... Trying to get anyone on the phone at LADWP is pointless -- wait times are outrageous and when I finally get through I'm sure they are going to some how blame me.

I'd rather just skip all that and hire a lawyer right off the bat to handle this for me.

What type of lawyer would I hire, anyone got recommendations for one in the LA area?
Obviously, I'm not going to sue them right off the bat, but if they keep pushing the issue or try to ding my credit -- then I'm going to take them to court. For now though, I'm sure a lawyer will deal with this faster than me trying to personally.

Not even sure how this happened as the building would have required the new tenant to show proof of LADWP account, which means LADWP would also have known that a new person is in that unit - regardless if they lost my turn off request or not.

Last edited by TidalWave; 09-03-2014 at 03:19 PM..
TidalWave is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
seeric

Industry Role:
It can go away with something as simple as your confirmation number for the cancellation of the service. Every call has one when they open or close a service. They should have offered it to you on the call.

Otherwise, I think if you don't have the confirmation of the canceling of the service in some form, you could be in trouble.

Sorry to hear. Most of the people who work at these places are mouth breathing keyboard punchers that just punch the clock, do their 8 hours and go home. No incentive to get anything right.
seeric is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
TidalWave
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Its been almost a year, I don't have the confirmation number anymore.

They are mailing me at my new address though which also shows that they know I'm not at the old one anymore, and they dont service this county.
TidalWave is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
TidalWave
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
lol, LADWP just told me that they havent been acting on disconnects and collections for the past year, (which is why that asshole new tenant's service is still on!) and have just started doing so again and he will be shut off soon -- which is why I just started receiving the invoices now.

anyhow, she gave me a post office address to mail in a dispute to inform them that im not the one living there anymore and a supervisor is gonna take a look at my account to find my disconnect (hopefully).

gonna try this shit first i guess... seems like dealing with LADWP as a public entity is a huge bitch.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
Barry-xlovecam
It's 42

Industry Role:
When you take money rather than earning it: customer service is of little importance. Hope it gets straightened out with your uncompensated time lost because of their fuck-ups not too costly ... It's not like you can take your business to their competitor. So, why should they give a shit, next dummy (I mean customer) in the line ... </rant>
Barry-xlovecam is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
Sly
Let's do some business!

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TidalWave View Post
lol, LADWP just told me that they havent been acting on disconnects and collections for the past year, (which is why that asshole new tenant's service is still on!) and have just started doing so again and he will be shut off soon -- which is why I just started receiving the invoices now.

anyhow, she gave me a post office address to mail in a dispute to inform them that im not the one living there anymore and a supervisor is gonna take a look at my account to find my disconnect (hopefully).

gonna try this shit first i guess... seems like dealing with LADWP as a public entity is a huge bitch.
Wow. Gotta love the utility companies. Unbelievable.

Sell me your: Paysites and Hosting Company. Buy my: Aged Domains and Sites
Sly is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
Rochard
Jägermeister Test Pilot

Industry Role:
I had the opposite problem.

My house was a model house for the community, and was built before they had roads here. The builder turned the power on. When I moved in, I went to have the power turned on in my name and they said "no such address". They weren't too helpful and I wasn't in a hurry being I was getting free power. Six months later they finally sent someone out to look at the meter itself... Turns out it was hooked up through a "master account" for the builder who has hundreds of model homes on this account, and they would have never have noticed anything if I didn't tell them.

In the end the power company put it in my name, and I got six months of power for free.

YNOT MAIL | THE BEST ADULT MAILING SOLUTION
Rochard is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
DBS.US
Geo Cities

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TidalWave View Post

Now they are sending me invoices for this shit at my new address.

How did they get your new address?

DBS.US is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #9
ErectMedia
Confirmed Chicago Pimp

Industry Role:
I like how when you wanna cancel a cable channel you have to call in. Yet you can order hundreds of dollars of pay per view movies by clicking a few buttons on your remote from the couch. Make it easy to spend but hard to stop the spending.
ErectMedia is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
brassmonkey
Pay It Forward

Industry Role:
go to their office just request to cancel dont say too much. get a membership at pre-paid legal talk to an attorney there document everything stop posting findings here they may use it against you.
brassmonkey is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #11
TidalWave
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBS.US View Post
How did they get your new address?
Exactly my point... they couldn't have it unless I called in and gave it to them for my final statement almost a year ago.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
DBS.US
Geo Cities

Industry Role:
I would call and talk to a supervisor and ask for their names (let them know your writing it down) tell them your story and keep calling till they fix it.
Try this site out http://turn.org/consumer-tools/complaint.html

DBS.US is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
johnny o
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
they also record most of the conversations. i had an experience with them where they promised us something (from a phone call 4 months earlier) where the supervisor put me on hold for about 10 mins to go and listen to the exact phone call in question. just FYI
Old 09-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #14
KRosh
So Fucking Outlawed

Industry Role:
A lawyer can't do anything for you unless there are damages. Meaning you'll have to wait until something happens with your credit , for instance, before you can file suit.
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >