Welcome to the GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post New Thread Reply

Register GFY Rules Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >
Discuss what's fucking going on, and which programs are best and worst. One-time "program" announcements from "established" webmasters are allowed.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:03 AM   #51
seeandsee
Check SIG!

Industry Role:
Was in same situation and didt want to pay full bill, almost got in fight with that guy, at end i payed maybe 1/5 and got my car, shitheads

Contact here
seeandsee is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:06 AM   #52
Matyko
PsyHead

Industry Role:
Sad to hear this. For me, having a good car serviceman is a Must. I have separate guys, one takes care of my old Opel Vectra B 2001, but there's only One crew in our country who I let touch my Subaru Legacy.. I would Never Ever take it to an unknown / new service. This is a game of Trust, and if you have a solid guy/place to take your car to in case of issues: win-win situation all the time. Otherwise its a struggle, like your case Sounds ripoff, but honestly: I would never argue w the price. Never. If its 200 bucks more than the first final price: it Has a Reason. Assuming this is a honest/good businessman not a scam artists
Old 04-09-2014, 03:59 AM   #53
adultchatpay
Let's Make Money

Industry Role:
ANd what auto shop was that?
adultchatpay is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:20 AM   #54
RebelR
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by femdomdestiny View Post
Timing chain replacement cost so much?What car is that ,(what is a price of belt only)?
It's not so much the price of the belt itself. Most of the cost is labour as generally, to do the belt or chain they put the vehicle into service position by removing everything in front if the engine. While doing the belt or chain they will also the water pump any any idler pulleys or the tensioner, since it's such a pain to do twice and the extra $200 or so is good insurance.

For the OP. Was this a Toureg or Tiguan? I've never seen a Jetta/Golf/Passat go over $1,000 for that procedure
Old 04-09-2014, 05:55 AM   #55
michael.kickass
Too lazy to set a custom title

Your mechanic is an asshole, he gained 473 dollars but he lost a customer. I'm assuming you're not taking your car to him again.

Looking to expand your business in general, maybe sell your sites? Contact me:
[email protected]
michael.kickass is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:32 AM   #56
Vendzilla
Biker Gnome

Industry Role:
I know a mechanic if I need him, but do most everything myself. Being a woman doesn't help, they think right off the bat they can con you. Always have a guy go with you, someone big, they don't like to put their life in danger. Tell the guy to look pissed off the whole time.
Carbon is not the problem, it makes up 0.041% of our atmosphere , 95% of that is from Volcanos and decomposing plants and stuff. So people in the US are responsible for 13% of the carbon in the atmosphere which 95% is not from Humans, like cars and trucks and stuff and they want to spend trillions to fix it while Solar Panel plants are powered by coal plants
think about that
Vendzilla is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #57
Blackie786

Industry Role:
I can tell my friends to visit him... after that he'll bring you new car.....for free...
Blackie786 is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #58
Choopa Phil
Confirmed User

How did you know it needed a new chain? Most cars when they the chain breaks/stretches (extremely rare) or a belt snaps the valves come into contact with the piston.
Choopa Phil is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #59
RebelR
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choopa Phil View Post
How did you know it needed a new chain? Most cars when they the chain breaks/stretches (extremely rare) or a belt snaps the valves come into contact with the piston.
Most likely it was a CEL that came on, or the chain started to get noisy. Because I think most modern engines are interference, you'd never want to skip the maintenance schedule on a belt. I've always automatically done mine at 100k/160k
Old 04-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #60
fuzebox
making it rain

Industry Role:
Trying to lowball the shop in the first place was a little shady... These businesses have costs too you know. Also quotes are usually pre-sales tax.
fuzebox is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #61
Elli
Reach for those stars!

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna mo View Post
timing chains will actually stretch out over time, then can slip a tooth due to the slack.
Thanks for letting me know! I've always heard that chains are "forever"
Elli is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #62
candyflip
Carpe Visio

Industry Role:
You own a VW. Expect this sort of hassle on a regular basis or learn to do it yourself.

Spend you some brain.
Email Me
candyflip is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #63
Ringo
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMNMAN View Post
Have some of your boyz pay him a midnight visit,,,,,
exactly, you could do worse
Ringo is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #64
Choopa Phil
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elli View Post
I personally do not know of any one who this has happened to, if anything it would be a rare case. Most metal timing chain issues come from them wearing through the Guides/Tensioners, thats when they become noisy. Doesnt necessarily mean it has to be replaced. Nissan 240sx's were notorious for this as well
Choopa Phil is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #65
mineistaken
See signature :)

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
You own a VW. Expect this sort of hassle on a regular basis or learn to do it yourself.
How come? I thought VW are one of the simpler cars to maintain. VW is called "every mens car" or something along those lines.
mineistaken is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #66
romeo22
你自己去他媽的

Industry Role:
that really sucks...and that is very expensive for sure
romeo22 is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #67
mineistaken
See signature :)

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzebox View Post
Trying to lowball the shop in the first place was a little shady...
Why is it shady to negotiate the price? If both parties agree on lower price that is fine. Nobody forced to accept it.
mineistaken is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #68
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elli View Post

Quote:
I personally do not know of any one who this has happened to, if anything it would be a rare case. Most metal timing chain issues come from them wearing through the Guides/Tensioners, thats when they become noisy. Doesnt necessarily mean it has to be replaced. Nissan 240sx's were notorious for this as well
it's not rare at all. in fact, all metal chains under a load will stretch. due to the components within each link.

drive any car with a timing chain for long enough without the proper maintenance and it will stretch to the point the engine goes out of timing. drive the car around with the timing off by many degrees and you'll be replacing much of that engine after a while.
dyna mo is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #69
TurboAngel
H.B.I.C.

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzebox View Post
Trying to lowball the shop in the first place was a little shady... These businesses have costs too you know. Also quotes are usually pre-sales tax.
The guy owns the shop I didn't pull his little worker dude away and ask him that. Why would I not ask if I was paying cash? Most people rather have the cash and not clam it.

BTW car broke down on me today need a new starter now.
TurboAngel is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #70
TurboAngel
H.B.I.C.

Industry Role:
Quote:
I had two people look and listen to it. They didn't know each other and they both said the same thing.
TurboAngel is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #71
Choopa Phil
Confirmed User

Yea you needed your timing chain tensioner fixed, common problem on Nissan 240sx's. Sounded like a bunch of marbles under the valve cover. About 110 dollar part

This is a 1.8T im assuming?
Old 04-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #72
TurboAngel
H.B.I.C.

Industry Role:
Quote:
Yea you needed your timing chain tensioner fixed, common problem on Nissan 240sx's. Sounded like a bunch of marbles under the valve cover. About 110 dollar part

This is a 1.8T im assuming?
The work was...

timing chain
timing chain
lower tensioner
upper tensioner
guide
guide
guide
shop supplies intermediate gear
radiator hose assy-uper
hose assy head-throttle

what ever that all means.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #73
Choopa Phil
Confirmed User

He charged you more than the dealership would have...I'd def have a bone to pick with that guy...

Last edited by Choopa Phil; 04-09-2014 at 02:32 PM..
Old 04-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #74
WarChild
Let slip the dogs of war.

Industry Role:
Your whole life has more or less been a series of successive failures so really this kind of thing must come as no surprise. Perhaps it's time to try a little introspection and really considering what the one common thread amongst all of these failures is.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #75
TurboAngel
H.B.I.C.

Industry Role:
Quote:
He charged you more than the dealership would have...I'd def have a bone to pick with that guy...
They wanted $3000.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #76
Choopa Phil
Confirmed User

They did my friends Vr6 for 1800 out the door with water pump replacement. You can haggle with the dealers sometimes and it also depends on your area. The typical labor rate is $100/Hr and the job takes 8-10 hours. Plus parts youre at around 1800-2k.

Either way the car is all fixed and youre back on the road. Come here next time before ya go to any mechs!

Last edited by Choopa Phil; 04-09-2014 at 04:08 PM..
Old 04-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #77
TurboAngel
H.B.I.C.

Industry Role:
Quote:
They did my friends Vr6 for 1800 out the door with water pump replacement. You can haggle with the dealers sometimes and it also depends on your area. The typical labor rate is $100/Hr and the job takes 8-10 hours. Plus parts youre at around 1800-2k.

Either way the car is all fixed and youre back on the road. Come here next time before ya go to any mechs!
I dove it today and it broke down on me LMFAO now I need a starter.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #78
rowan
Too lazy to set a custom title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********** View Post
Yes this is a common scam for sure. One bad thing is that a similar scam can happen at the dealer. A friend who used to work in the customer-facing side of the garage told me that their mechanics are trained to inspect the car and look for wear and to make a list. The "mechanic" who calls the owner of the car, will then try to upwell him or her on repairing lots of other things that may not need repairing or that still have some life left in them.
An extension of this scam is to pressure the customer into fixing something that affects the car's safety. If the customer says no, when they come to pick up the vehicle the workshop will refuse to release the car because it's "unsafe." Often the breakdown of problems will be for parts that are borderline serviceable, so they do need to be fixed in the near future, but not RIGHT NOW.
rowan is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 PM   #79
InfoGuy
80/20 Rule

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyloadproductions View Post
If you have the gall, threaten to ruin him as a bait and switch artist.
This is a bad idea, unless you want to get thrown in jail for extortion.
InfoGuy is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #80
Mathieu35

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboAngel View Post
I have a VW, and I know a couple of trustworthy people in Charlotte who sound like they would be more honest than this mechanic who screwed you over. I remember I replaced the timing belt on my jetta around ten years ago, and this mechanic did for $100. I know certain models of VW have gotten more complex in recent years, but I agree with some of the other people who've chimed in on this thread that the price you paid is in the range of getting a rebuild transmission. I don't know where you are in NC, but let me know if you need the name of a couple of good shops in Charlotte.

Last edited by Mathieu35; 04-10-2014 at 07:49 AM..
Mathieu35 is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:03 AM   #81
Choopa Phil
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboAngel View Post
Honestly, id say sell it while it still runs. Those cars are also notorious for oil sludge problems too if your turbo isnt dead yet...it most likely soon will be especially if youre in the higher milage range. That could have also been a large contributing factor to the failure/stretch of your timing chain.

Last edited by Choopa Phil; 04-11-2014 at 07:05 AM..
Old 04-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #82
TurboAngel
H.B.I.C.

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu35 View Post
I have a VW, and I know a couple of trustworthy people in Charlotte who sound like they would be more honest than this mechanic who screwed you over. I remember I replaced the timing belt on my jetta around ten years ago, and this mechanic did for $100. I know certain models of VW have gotten more complex in recent years, but I agree with some of the other people who've chimed in on this thread that the price you paid is in the range of getting a rebuild transmission. I don't know where you are in NC, but let me know if you need the name of a couple of good shops in Charlotte.
I'm in Greensboro. I took it to my guy today and they tightened up some screws and seems to be fine now.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #83
Vendzilla
Biker Gnome

Industry Role:
What VW do you have exactly, you can look on the net to see if the prices are out of hand.
Carbon is not the problem, it makes up 0.041% of our atmosphere , 95% of that is from Volcanos and decomposing plants and stuff. So people in the US are responsible for 13% of the carbon in the atmosphere which 95% is not from Humans, like cars and trucks and stuff and they want to spend trillions to fix it while Solar Panel plants are powered by coal plants
think about that
Vendzilla is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #84
TurboAngel
H.B.I.C.

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendzilla View Post
What VW do you have exactly, you can look on the net to see if the prices are out of hand.
It's a V6 2001. Back in the day it was a supper nice car. My friend got me 3 estimates. They were $1500, $2000, $2500 and I called VW they wanted $3000. I'm still sitting here with no car.
Post New Thread Reply
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >