Welcome to the GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post New Thread Reply

Register GFY Rules Calendar
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >
Discuss what's fucking going on, and which programs are best and worst. One-time "program" announcements from "established" webmasters are allowed.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
The Hun
Confirmed User

tablet advertising: considered desktop or mobile?

What advertising would be better to show on a tablet? Mobile ads, targeted for smartphones, or 'regular' desktop banners?
The Hun is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
Captain Kawaii
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
Why not go responsive?
Captain Kawaii is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Nick-Mindgeek
Confirmed User

I would have 3 distinct ad zones

- PC
- tablet
- mobile

If you HAVE to have 2. Lump tablet with mobile as flash ads and typical desktop stuff will not work on most tablets.

Nick-Mindgeek is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
The Hun
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kawaii View Post
Why not go responsive?
well... that's what leads to this question... layout is responsive these days, obviously, but you still need to figure out what to target though...

responsive designs only make sure you can watch the same page on different devices...
The Hun is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
rastan
Master(bater)

Industry Role:
Yup +1 to neeko
Old 07-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #6
The Hun
Confirmed User

thing is that most networks these days have two 'niches'... desktop and mobile... I would say push mobile adds (in the right size of course, no 300x110 banners or something) for tablets if there's no alternatives...

also takes care of the in-betweens, mini-tablets/maxi-smartphones/whatever-they're-calleds...
Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
LucyVanAngel
Confirmed User

Most of tablet traffic is wifi, hence wont convert well for mobile banners. Answer: go for regular desktop banners. But make sure the offer you send traffic to has responsive design
LucyVanAngel is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
Barry-xlovecam
It's 42

Industry Role:
A lot of tablets will not have flash available.
Newer Android, iOS ...
We use:
Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="user-scalable=no,initial-scale=1.0,minimum-scale=1.0,maximum-scale=1.0">
Desktop banners will fit

Last edited by Barry-xlovecam; 07-08-2014 at 07:58 AM..
Barry-xlovecam is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #9
Rebel D

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanAngel View Post
Most of tablet traffic is wifi, hence wont convert well for mobile banners. Answer: go for regular desktop banners. But make sure the offer you send traffic to has responsive design
even though technically a Mobile Device it is definitely more of a desktop audience
Rebel D is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
The Hun
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanAngel View Post
Using the networks that's always tough... I send traffic to other people's pages, so there's little to no control over where the traffic is sent... or at least not to the responsiveness of the page...

Good point on the WiFi though, I was leaning more towards pushing mobile... Especially since a lot of mobile traffic these days is WiFi as well...
Old 07-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
Konda

Industry Role:
Obviously you want to show mobile ads to tablet users, it would make ZERO sense to use desktop adzones on tablet traffic.

Anyone that replied desktop does not know what he's talking about and should not be taken seriously.
Konda is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #12
Konda

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hun View Post
thing is that most networks these days have two 'niches'... desktop and mobile... I would say push mobile adds (in the right size of course, no 300x110 banners or something) for tablets if there's no alternatives...

also takes care of the in-betweens, mini-tablets/maxi-smartphones/whatever-they're-calleds...

It's not about the size, it's about the payout. Mobile payout is much higher. If you run desktop ads on tablet your are throwing money away.
Konda is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
The Hun
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konda View Post
It's not about the size, it's about the payout. Mobile payout is much higher. If you run desktop ads on tablet your are throwing money away.
Yes, short term you're definitely right, but I like to look a little further: if I sell something that turns out to be not worth it eventually I'll make nothing... So I'd better be safe than sorry in this case. Maybe I'm being too ethical about this, but that's just how we do stuff here.

What would conversion-wise be better? So not: what makes me most money per-se, but what kind of advertising would best fit the tablet user. From the user's experience. So what would show products the tablet user would actually be interested in better, mobile or desktop?

I tend to think from the user's point of view, they're more important than the advertisers eventually... Basing decisions on that perspective usually makes the most money in the long run anyways...
Old 07-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #14
Captain Kawaii
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hun View Post
Yes, short term you're definitely right, but I like to look a little further: if I sell something that turns out to be not worth it eventually I'll make nothing... So I'd better be safe than sorry in this case. Maybe I'm being too ethical about this, but that's just how we do stuff here.

What would conversion-wise be better? So not: what makes me most money per-se, but what kind of advertising would best fit the tablet user. From the user's experience. So what would show products the tablet user would actually be interested in better, mobile or desktop?

I tend to think from the user's point of view, they're more important than the advertisers eventually... Basing decisions on that perspective usually makes the most money in the long run anyways...
Has always been my argument. Well said. In 2014 most of the traffic is up to the shitty little games some in adult play.

Take it a step further and think about their experience (users/traffic) if they decide to sign up to your pitch. I think mobile users, including tablet peeps need quick 1-2 signup steps to really convert them.

You'll need something in place that resizes banners for smartphones or tablets, whichever user is hitting your pitch. Desktop world is fading quickly. Especially here in Asia.
Captain Kawaii is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #15
Exoclick
Confirmed User

Use an ad network that knows what it's doing? ;)

Any decent ad network offers device targeting allowing advertisers to filter specific mobile devices and tablets, maybe even Smart TV and consoles. So the format doesn't really matter, if an advertiser has a product that converts on tablet, he will target them. If it doesn't convert, he will filter them out to improve his ROI.

If you couple that with mobile carrier targeting then it gets even more interesting, because users connected in WiFi with their tablet will probably convert better on desktop products. But if they are connected in 3G then mobile products with mobile carrier billing will work far better.

It's all about segmenting the traffic. You can do all that yourself of course, but it's a lot of work and that's why ad networks exist.

In terms of banner size, what I would do is detect the resolution of the device and display "mobile sizes" or "desktop sizes" based on that.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #16
NaughtyRob
Two fresh affiliate progs

Industry Role:
I'd think regular, tablets are huge.
NaughtyRob is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #17
fuzebox
making it rain

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeko View Post
I would have 3 distinct ad zones

- PC
- tablet
- mobile
Most companies I buy from offer tablet as a separate category, wish I treat as it's own device with tablet-specific landers
fuzebox is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:10 AM   #18
Mobidea

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzebox View Post
Most companies I buy from offer tablet as a separate category, wish I treat as it's own device with tablet-specific landers
That would be the most efficient way for sure !

Also, in addition, you can use us to create an Android App version of your site

Wanna know more about Media Buy? Check the Mobidea Academy!
Mobidea is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >