Welcome to the GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post New Thread Reply

Register GFY Rules Calendar
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >
Discuss what's fucking going on, and which programs are best and worst. One-time "program" announcements from "established" webmasters are allowed.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
Dirty F
Too lazy to set a custom title

Industry Role:
Stupid question about audio receivers

I always preferred older stuff over the modern equipment. But now i'm finally gonna buy something new.
I'm looking at this http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=HT-S9400THX&class=Systems

Now reading some reviews i'm kinda confused. Am i correct if i say these systems can in and output video signals? So instead of having the tv send the audio to the receiver, the receiver sends the audio and video to the tv?
I never heard of this before if that is the case.
What would be the benefit?
Dirty F is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
AaronM

Industry Role:
There are a few advantages. For me, I appreciate not having to switch my TV to different inputs every time I change to a different component.

If I put a Blu-ray disk in, the receiver kicks into BD mode and outputs to the TV.

If I plug in my Macbook Pro then I select Video 1 (which maps separate audio & video inputs into one output) and sends the signal to the TV.

Change the receiver to Ruko and it sends to the TV.

All through a single HDMI cable.

Some receivers also offer upscaling and other features as well.
AaronM is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Dirty F

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronM View Post
There are a few advantages. For me, I appreciate not having to switch my TV to different inputs every time I change to a different component.

If I put a Blu-ray disk in, the receiver kicks into BD mode and outputs to the TV.

If I plug in my Macbook Pro then I select Video 1 (which maps separate audio & video inputs into one output) and sends the signal to the TV.

Change the receiver to Ruko and it sends to the TV.

All through a single HDMI cable.

Some receivers also offer upscaling and other features as well.
This sounds so confusing actually. But i guess that's because i never used it before.
Dirty F is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
2MuchMark
Videochat Solutions

Industry Role:
Hi Dirty F,

There are several benefits. First, you end up with less switching to do. Your AV Receiver sends the correct signal to your TV and speakers depending on what you want to see and hear, with the press of only a single button on a single remote. Plus the replacement of all those analog video and audio cables with a single, digital HDMI cable means a lot less wires, perfect, clear digital 7.1 discreet channels of sound, and perfect picture. You'll love it.

VideoChat Solutions | Custom Software | IT Support
https://www.2much.net | https://www.lcntech.com

Last edited by 2MuchMark; 03-28-2014 at 07:48 AM..
2MuchMark is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Dirty F

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********** View Post
Hi Dirty F,

There are several benefits. First, you end up with less switching to do. Your AV Receiver sends the correct signal to your TV and speakers depending on what you want to see and hear, with the press of only a single button on a single remote. Plus the replacement of all those analog video and audio cables with a single, digital HDMI cable means a lot less wires, perfect, clear digital 7.1 discreet channels of sound, and perfect picture. You'll love it.
Hi. I think i'm starting to understand. Sounds pretty good now. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
StinkyPink
It's all goooood.

Industry Role:
One word Yamaha... two words? Yamaha Aventage!
StinkyPink is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
MrBottomTooth
Confirmed User

If you get yourself a universal remote it makes things even simpler. You have to program the remote, but once you get it setup it works great.

Press a button on your remote that says: "watch Blu-ray."

Your Blu-ray player turns on, your tv turns on and switches to the proper input, the receiver turns on and switches to the Blu-ray input. All with one button press. You also don't need to even point the remote at your equipment if you get one with a transmitter. You can be in a different room and turn shit on.

I have a computer, satellite receiver, cd changer and 15 video game consoles (I collect video games) all hooked into my Onkyo 818 receiver (had to add 3 extra video switchers because of all the consoles) and I can turn on almost anything with just one button press. Some of the older consoles obviously require one further step because you have to manually turn their power on and in some cases choose the correct button on the corresponding video switcher, but otherwise it makes things really simple.

I would hate to imagine trying to do that without a receiver and a universal remote. I have a drawer full of remotes that I don't have to use anymore.
MrBottomTooth is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
AaronM

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBottomTooth View Post
If you get yourself a universal remote it makes things even simpler. You have to program the remote, but once you get it setup it works great.

Press a button on your remote that says: "watch Blu-ray."

Your Blu-ray player turns on, your tv turns on and switches to the proper input, the receiver turns on and switches to the Blu-ray input. All with one button press. You also don't need to even point the remote at your equipment if you get one with a transmitter. You can be in a different room and turn shit on.

I have a computer, satellite receiver, cd changer and 15 video game consoles (I collect video games) all hooked into my Onkyo 818 receiver (had to add 3 extra video switchers because of all the consoles) and I can turn on almost anything with just one button press. Some of the older consoles obviously require one further step because you have to manually turn their power on and in some cases choose the correct button on the corresponding video switcher, but otherwise it makes things really simple.

I would hate to imagine trying to do that without a receiver and a universal remote. I have a drawer full of remotes that I don't have to use anymore.
Most current decent receivers have either Wi-Fi or a hard wired network adapter and are controllable though apps. The days of universal remotes are running out.
AaronM is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
MrBottomTooth
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronM View Post
Most current decent receivers have either Wi-Fi or a hard wired network adapter and are controllable though apps. The days of universal remotes are running out.
All my receivers are connected to my network and have control apps. They are ok for certain things but unless you have one app that controls every device in your system it doesn't make much sense. You are basically just replacing your receiver remote with your phone or tablet. Still have to use another remote to turn other devices on or switch to another app.

Harmony had that little circular universal remote device out a while ago that worked exclusively off of an app with your phone or tablet, but it sounds like it was pretty crappy.
MrBottomTooth is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #10
SmutHammer
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyPink View Post
Haha, I knew when I seen this thread title you wouldn't be able to stay out of it
SmutHammer is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
iwantchixx

Industry Role:
Another point to keep in mind, if you are used to the old systems, is that this one will sound weak to you for music. It'll be GREAT for movies (what its designed for) but for music, those cube speakers just wont sound as good as old systems. If you can afford the expense, buy the amp separately and get better speakers.
iwantchixx is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #12
TrafficGoldmine
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
OMG it's Franck
TrafficGoldmine is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
Dvae
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Which ever one you get make sure it has Apple AirPlay. Absolutely a must have.

Arguing with a troll is a lot like wrestling in the mud with a pig, after a couple of hours you realize the pig likes it.
Dvae is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #14
iwantchixx

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvae View Post
Assuming he has apple products...

or can that stream from windows machines, too?
iwantchixx is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #15
2MuchMark
Videochat Solutions

Industry Role:
Apple Airplay is awesome. If your new rig doesn't have it built it, you can add it easily for about $100.

VideoChat Solutions | Custom Software | IT Support
https://www.2much.net | https://www.lcntech.com
2MuchMark is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:48 PM   #16
Socks
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
I'd steer clear of a speaker package like that. Or are you just considering the receiver?

My advice is to buy used, because people regularly buy this stuff and sell it in a few months because they don't use it enough, or because they're moving, or upgrading, downsizing, etc. Also you don't pay taxes buying used.

Also most people who buy this kind of gear take great care of it. If there's something wrong with it, you'll hear it.

I bought my main towers first, then added a centre channel, then surrounds, and recently I picked up subwoofer.

My buddy sold me his receiver for $50 that he spent something like $1,000 on, because it doesn't have HDMI. Sold!

So to get started and see if I used it I was only out $450 and had a *really* nice 2.0 system imo for the price.

My setup:

Paradigm 11SE MKIII mains - Paid $400
Harman Kardon AV230 - Paid $50
Paradigm CC-290 v5 center - Paid $200
Paradigm Studio v2 rears - Paid $350
GoldenEar Forcefield 5 sub - Paid $725

Panasonic 65" TCP-P65ST60 plasma, bought new

Next step if I ever decide to upgrade will be a more powerful amp (though I don't really need the power, might as well, and I'd like HDMI and DTS-MA) I like the stuff from Anthem (http://www.anthemav.com/products-cur.../page=overview)

And if I upgrade my mains I'd look at GoldenEar Triton 2's or Pendragon's.

Last edited by Socks; 03-28-2014 at 11:53 PM..
Socks is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:02 AM   #17
Dirty F

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantchixx View Post
Another point to keep in mind, if you are used to the old systems, is that this one will sound weak to you for music. It'll be GREAT for movies (what its designed for) but for music, those cube speakers just wont sound as good as old systems. If you can afford the expense, buy the amp separately and get better speakers.
I have 2 really good Sony speakers i will use. No way i'm using those small front speakers for music.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:04 AM   #18
Dirty F

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvae View Post
I don't give a shit about stuff like that. So no, it's not an absolutely must have.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:08 AM   #19
Dirty F

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks View Post
I'd steer clear of a speaker package like that. Or are you just considering the receiver?

My advice is to buy used, because people regularly buy this stuff and sell it in a few months because they don't use it enough, or because they're moving, or upgrading, downsizing, etc. Also you don't pay taxes buying used.

Also most people who buy this kind of gear take great care of it. If there's something wrong with it, you'll hear it.

I bought my main towers first, then added a centre channel, then surrounds, and recently I picked up subwoofer.

My buddy sold me his receiver for $50 that he spent something like $1,000 on, because it doesn't have HDMI. Sold!

So to get started and see if I used it I was only out $450 and had a *really* nice 2.0 system imo for the price.

My setup:

Paradigm 11SE MKIII mains - Paid $400
Harman Kardon AV230 - Paid $50
Paradigm CC-290 v5 center - Paid $200
Paradigm Studio v2 rears - Paid $350
GoldenEar Forcefield 5 sub - Paid $725

Panasonic 65" TCP-P65ST60 plasma, bought new

Next step if I ever decide to upgrade will be a more powerful amp (though I don't really need the power, might as well, and I'd like HDMI and DTS-MA) I like the stuff from Anthem (http://www.anthemav.com/products-cur.../page=overview)

And if I upgrade my mains I'd look at GoldenEar Triton 2's or Pendragon's.

I don't like packages like that normally but this specific setup gets so many ridiculousy good reviews that i'm pretty sure it's damn awesome. And as mentioned above i'm using my own big speakers in the front.
The surround speakers are really big and heavy btw. They feel and look impressive. Just bought it. They deliver it tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #20
iwantchixx

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty F View Post
I don't like packages like that normally but this specific setup gets so many ridiculousy good reviews that i'm pretty sure it's damn awesome. And as mentioned above i'm using my own big speakers in the front.
The surround speakers are really big and heavy btw. They feel and look impressive. Just bought it. They deliver it tomorrow.
Sony? Ok, speakers included in the package should be better. It wont "pound" like old systems but will sound better.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #21
ErectMedia
Confirmed Chicago Pimp

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyPink View Post
Bought a Yamaha 5.1 system more than a handful of years ago and never had a problem and still works like brand new. One of the reasons I bought it as reviews I looked up said shit lasts without any problems. Debating if I upgrade it or just use it till it fries as getting the itch for new shit even though it has no issues. If I do upgrade probably look at Yamaha again along with Denon, Onkyo etc... as all good brands.
ErectMedia is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #22
candyflip
Carpe Visio

Industry Role:
I'm not big into audio for music, but I purchased a Yamaha Aventage RX-A730 for the home theatre. I love the built in AirPlay...which has me playing music on it too.

Spend you some brain.
Email Me
candyflip is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #23
Dirty F

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
I'm not big into audio for music, but I purchased a Yamaha Aventage RX-A730 for the home theatre. I love the built in AirPlay...which has me playing music on it too.
Wow, you play music on your sound system?
Old 03-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #24
Dvae
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty F View Post
Wow, you play music on your sound system?
You really are an asshole Frank.
How long until you're banned again?

Arguing with a troll is a lot like wrestling in the mud with a pig, after a couple of hours you realize the pig likes it.

Last edited by Dvae; 03-30-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Dvae is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >