Welcome to the GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post New Thread Reply

Register GFY Rules Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >
Discuss what's fucking going on, and which programs are best and worst. One-time "program" announcements from "established" webmasters are allowed.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #51
SongRider
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
FIFTY Motor-Scooters!!!
SongRider is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #52
Raja
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
I just started riding a few months ago and I bought a 2013 Honda CB500F. I thought I wanted a cruiser but after riding a 1000 miles I figured out that I would like a sport tourer.

My bike:

Raja is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #53
mineistaken
See signature :)

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
I just started riding a few months ago and I bought a 2013 Honda CB500F. I thought I wanted a cruiser but after riding a 1000 miles I figured out that I would like a sport tourer.

My bike:
So post more - any accidents, how do cars notice you an other tips/experiences/advices as a newbie rider?
mineistaken is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #54
dillonaire
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendzilla View Post

You can own and ride the same Harley for 30 years and it will still be cool, ride the same Jap bike for 5 years and it will look old!
The Jap Bike might look old after 5 years, but you will look old from day one on a Harley

"Deja moo - The feeling you've heard this Bull before."

Email: [email protected]
dillonaire is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #55
MK Ultra
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineistaken View Post
how do cars notice you an other tips/experiences/advices as a newbie rider?
RULE #1: WHEN YOU ARE ON A MOTORCYCLE YOU BECOME INVISIBLE TO DRIVERS OF CARS AND TRUCKS, ALWAYS KEEP THAT IN MIND AND RIDE DEFENSIVELY.

I've had several near misses and two nasty bike accidents in my life, without exception they were caused by drivers who didn't see me.

Head-on-a-swivel, expand your situational awareness to a full 360 degrees.

Don't put yourself in a position where an oblivious driver in a car can kill you.
Stay out of vehicle blind-spots, use the full width of your travel lane to increase your safety margin.

RULE #2: SEE THIS LIST http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ses-30330.html
Old 08-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #56
dillonaire
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Ultra View Post
RULE #1: WHEN YOU ARE ON A MOTORCYCLE YOU BECOME INVISIBLE TO DRIVERS OF CARS AND TRUCKS, ALWAYS KEEP THAT IN MIND AND RIDE DEFENSIVELY.

That is why it is important to get LOUD ASS PIPES! Then people can hear you coming from a mile away.

dillonaire is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #57
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
If I see/hear another SOA-themed dyna blappin down PCH I'm going to throw a banana peel out in front of it. If I can stop lolling @ em.

FYI.
dyna mo is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #58
L-Pink
working on my tan

Industry Role:
Quote:

According to information from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety?s Highway Loss Data, about 42% of fatal motorcycle accidents were caused by a vehicle that turned left while the motorcycle was traveling past it.
L-Pink is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #59
baddog
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelinkjeff View Post
That is why it is important to get LOUD ASS PIPES! Then people can hear you coming from a mile away.
Not really true.
baddog is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #60
NewOldPlayer
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
If you drive a car for years, before you ride a bike, you have to change your thinking.

In a car, you get lazy because the frame around you is steal.

On a bike, the frame around you is your legs.

You have to focus on the road all the time when you are on a bike. 100% different thinking than cruising in a car. Never drift away from being focused.
NewOldPlayer is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #61
scuba steve
Confirmed User

Quote:
advantage to the cruisers. rice rockets don't usually have throaty loud pipes
Old 08-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #62
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
It's a huge assumption to assume a loud exhaust is a safety measure such that it alerts drivers to where you are and altering their path/speed, Etc. Typically loud pipes just startle other drivers and or piss them off. Neither of those makes things safer.
dyna mo is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #63
scuba steve
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna mo View Post
It's a huge assumption to assume a loud exhaust is a safety measure such that it alerts drivers to where you are and altering their path/speed, Etc. Typically loud pipes just startle other drivers and or piss them off. Neither of those makes things safer.
lets people know you're around
Old 08-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #64
dillonaire
Confirmed User

Quote:
It totally helps. When you are splitting lanes people hear you coming and move over a bit to give you more room. Freeway or at speeds over 45 MPH not so much. But I live and do most my riding on San Fran so it is a big help. I got a termignoni exhaust system and it lets people know im coming.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #65
mineistaken

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldPlayer View Post
On a bike, the frame around you is your legs.

You have to focus on the road all the time when you are on a bike. 100% different thinking than cruising in a car. Never drift away from being focused.
I agree. I drive bicycle alot, for many years, so I know the feeling when I must control situation 360 degrees around me and always anticipate what drivers may do and be prepared for every possible act.
mineistaken is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #66
Raja
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
So post more - any accidents, how do cars notice you an other tips/experiences/advices as a newbie rider?
The only accident I had was turning left on my first ride and I went down at very slow speed. I am very lucky that I live on the central coast in California and there are 1000's of miles of roads here with very little traffic and amazing scenery so I can't really comment on cars noticing me. My scariest experience was rounding a corner and seeing a family of deer crossing the road.

My advice would be to practice around your neighbourhood and in parking lots doing low speed maneuvers and then some nice twisty back roads to really get used to shifting and leaning into turns.

Raja is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #67
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
lets people know you're around
So what. It doesn't pinpoint a location and it certainly does not create a driver that gives more of a shit about you. A startled driver isn't a better more aware driver.

Again my point is assuming things like this is a major mistake in thinking your creating a safe riding environment.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #68
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
Quote:
It totally helps. When you are splitting lanes people hear you coming and move over a bit to give you more room. Freeway or at speeds over 45 MPH not so much. But I live and do most my riding on San Fran so it is a big help. I got a termignoni exhaust system and it lets people know im coming.
Blappin the throttle on any bike splitting lanes will get attention. So will flashing the headlamp. You don't need loud pipes for that. I had a full termi systems on all my ducs and would never consider them a Safety feature.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #69
scuba steve
Confirmed User

Quote:
So what. It doesn't pinpoint a location and it certainly does not create a driver that gives more of a shit about you. A startled driver isn't a better more aware driver.

Again my point is assuming things like this is a major mistake in thinking your creating a safe riding environment.
look its not a 100% fix and you're not gonna get in a wreck type of thing. it just doesn't hurt. when riding, i'll take any advantage i can get
Old 08-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #70
mikesouth
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog View Post
Is there anything you are more clueless on than motorcycles?
There are few things I know more than motorcycles, been a motorcycle mechanic since 1975 and have owned many, currently have a Heritage Classic that needed new head gaskets at 30K miles, if you cant do it yourself you better have deep pockets.

I know you are partial and yes they are fun and they have the name but a Suzuki Volusia or similar bike is many times more reliable...like it or not...

It's No wonder I took up drugs and alcohol, it's the only way I could dumb myself down enough to cope with the morons in this biz.
mikesouth is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #71
baddog
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
Quote:
I did not realize that everyone in San Francisco was driving with their windows down and car stereos off.

People are seeing your headlights unless you are at their door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesouth View Post
There are few things I know more than motorcycles, been a motorcycle mechanic since 1975 and have owned many, currently have a Heritage Classic that needed new head gaskets at 30K miles, if you cant do it yourself you better have deep pockets.
If your bike needed head gaskets at 30K it was really abused. I had a 1949 H-D that was better than that. My 86 has +150k and NEVER blew a head gasket.

I am trying to recall ANY of my H-Ds that ever went down due to a head gasket; I can't.
baddog is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #72
dillonaire
Confirmed User

Quote:
Blappin the throttle on any bike splitting lanes will get attention. So will flashing the headlamp. You don't need loud pipes for that. I had a full termi systems on all my ducs and would never consider them a Safety feature.
Yeaaa its a safety feature for other drivers. Cuz if they dont get the fuck out of my way Ill punch them in the face at the next red light or kick their side mirror off.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #73
Sunny Day
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Danger

Quote:
Recently there have been 2 deaths of cyclists here. One a woman made a left turn right into the riders. No way he had time to avoid from watching the video. The other a biker was at a stoplight and a SUV came over a small rise just before the light and rear-ended him. There are some accidents that no matter what, you won't see in time to do anything about.
Happens in cars too. On a busy state highway following two cars. The 1st car didn't see me. He made a quick right turn then a U Turn. Without looking or stopping made a left back the way he came. Somehow we avoided hitting, but I was forced into the other lane of on-coming 65 MPH traffic. Some how missed them too.

Ride safe on your cycle
Sunny Day is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #74
dillonaire
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Day View Post
Recently there have been 2 deaths of cyclists here. One a woman made a left turn right into the riders. No way he had time to avoid from watching the video. The other a biker was at a stoplight and a SUV came over a small rise just before the light and rear-ended him. There are some accidents that no matter what, you won't see in time to do anything about.
Happens in cars too. On a busy state highway following two cars. The 1st car didn't see me. He made a quick right turn then a U Turn. Without looking or stopping made a left back the way he came. Somehow we avoided hitting, but I was forced into the other lane of on-coming 65 MPH traffic. Some how missed them too.

Ride safe on your cycle
nothing is 100%. Every little bit helps - loud pipes, safety course, the right riding gear, being alert and even then you can still get in an accident. I like to improve my odds, but its just that....improving odds.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #75
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
Quote:
look its not a 100% fix and you're not gonna get in a wreck type of thing. it just doesn't hurt. when riding, i'll take any advantage i can get
I'm not trying to talk you into anything. If you want to think it's an advantage that's cool but if your looking for any Safety Advantage then look to a neon safety vest, which is proven. Drivers use vision when driving, not sounds.

I've yet to see any research that supports the idea that loud pipes contribute to a safe riding experience.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #76
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
Quote:
Yeaaa its a safety feature for other drivers. Cuz if they dont get the fuck out of my way Ill punch them in the face at the next red light or kick their side mirror off.

Got it!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #77
Vendzilla
Biker Gnome

Industry Role:
Quote:
The Jap Bike might look old after 5 years, but you will look old from day one on a Harley

Depends on the Harley, every time I go out, I get complements on mine.

You just think that all Harley's are cruiser's, some are pretty damn fast

Riding a gold wing would make you look old, but at least you would be comfortable
Carbon is not the problem, it makes up 0.041% of our atmosphere , 95% of that is from Volcanos and decomposing plants and stuff. So people in the US are responsible for 13% of the carbon in the atmosphere which 95% is not from Humans, like cars and trucks and stuff and they want to spend trillions to fix it while Solar Panel plants are powered by coal plants
think about that
Vendzilla is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #78
Vendzilla
Biker Gnome

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
The only accident I had was turning left on my first ride and I went down at very slow speed. I am very lucky that I live on the central coast in California and there are 1000's of miles of roads here with very little traffic and amazing scenery so I can't really comment on cars noticing me. My scariest experience was rounding a corner and seeing a family of deer crossing the road.

My advice would be to practice around your neighbourhood and in parking lots doing low speed maneuvers and then some nice twisty back roads to really get used to shifting and leaning into turns.
My favorite rides are getting out of LA and heading towards where you live. Santa Maria is the farthest I have traveled on the bike north from LA so far, it's a real treat to do a run up that way. There is a jeweler in Los Olivos I always stop to talk to and a winery we belong to up that way as well. We're about due for another trip, just been too busy with the new project.
Carbon is not the problem, it makes up 0.041% of our atmosphere , 95% of that is from Volcanos and decomposing plants and stuff. So people in the US are responsible for 13% of the carbon in the atmosphere which 95% is not from Humans, like cars and trucks and stuff and they want to spend trillions to fix it while Solar Panel plants are powered by coal plants
think about that
Vendzilla is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #79
dillonaire
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendzilla View Post
Depends on the Harley, every time I go out, I get complements on mine.

You just think that all Harley's are cruiser's, some are pretty damn fast

Riding a gold wing would make you look old, but at least you would be comfortable
I know.....I love Harley as well. Im just messing wit ya. I would like to add a Harley to my collection some day.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #80
mikesouth
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
[QUOTE=baddog;20184188

I am trying to recall ANY of my H-Ds that ever went down due to a head gasket; I can't.[/QUOTE]

My days of riding like that are long gone truth is head gasket leaks are common on many harleys that are ridden a lot, most people don't even notice them, except that it will backfire a bit.

It happens because of the air cooling mostly, the rapid expansion and compression of the metal.

Bikes are my primary means of transpo I actually have a Suzuki Burgman 650 that has almost 100 K miles all I have ever done to it are brakes tires and fluid changes....chicks like riding the Harley the first time, after that they always wanna go on the Burgman more comfy and quieter and burn guards on the pipes so no heat there...

It's No wonder I took up drugs and alcohol, it's the only way I could dumb myself down enough to cope with the morons in this biz.
mikesouth is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #81
baddog
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
Quote:
My days of riding like that are long gone truth is head gasket leaks are common on many harleys that are ridden a lot, most people don't even notice them, except that it will backfire a bit.
We will have to agree that you don't know WTF you are talking about.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #82
MK Ultra
Confirmed User

Quote:
It happens because of the air cooling mostly, the rapid expansion and compression of the metal.
This is the first I've ever heard of this issue on a modern Harley, my bike has 30k miles and just passed a compression check so I can get an extended factory warranty, if the motors were such a repair problem I don't think Harley would be selling a 5 year warranty on any Harley that's under 12 years old and less than 75,000 miles.

Quote:
Bikes are my primary means of transpo I actually have a Suzuki Burgman 650 that has almost 100 K miles all I have ever done to it are brakes tires and fluid changes....chicks like riding the Harley the first time, after that they always wanna go on the Burgman more comfy and quieter and burn guards on the pipes so no heat there...
Wow! the Burgman certainly is the epitome of cool

Old 08-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #83
mikesouth
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog View Post
We will have to agree that you don't know WTF you are talking about.
Or more likely you dont....

Old 08-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #84
mikesouth
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
This is the first I've ever heard of this issue on a modern Harley, my bike has 30k miles and just passed a compression check so I can get an extended factory warranty, if the motors were such a repair problem I don't think Harley would be selling a 5 year warranty on any Harley that's under 12 years old and less than 75,000 miles.

Wow! the Burgman certainly is the epitome of cool

hey i didnt say i ride it to look cool its my go to the grocery store/whatever bike it runs way in excess of 120MPH and I have had some fine ass on the seat of it, including Kayden Kross's. laugh all ya want any bike with 100 K miles is a winner in my book (My Boulevard has 30K)

Old 08-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #85
JustDaveXxx
I AM JUSTDAVE !

Industry Role:
I have been on my 2012 HD Road King Classic just about every day since spring. Love it!!

Its a 103 and i have a lot of work done to it trough Harley. 62 horses stock, got it up to 118.

Now what I really notice is the way I drive at 43 is way different than the way I drove in my 20's.

In my 20's, and riding a raced out rice rocket, it seemed that I would have a close call to a serious accident once a week. Speeding, splitting traffic at high speeds, Cars turning left in front of me, cars moving into my lane, etc.

And now being 43 i don't do the dumb shit I did in my 20's. But now that I ride a very loud Harley, Im heard and felt by all of the cars around me. Cars split 20+ cars ahead of me before I reach them, because I am heard.

Also since riding a Harley, I have had Zero close calls in the last 5 years. Knock on wood!

Loud Bike, not being young, dumb and never going more than 10 miles over the sped limit has beed the safety difference maker from my experience.

Just Dave

Smut Peddler Productions.com
ICQ #378-696-435 / / Skype: JustDaveXxx
"We shoot custom, exclusive content your way"
JustDaveXxx is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #86
L-Pink
working on my tan

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDaveXxx View Post
I have been on my 2012 HD Road King Classic just about every day since spring. Love it!!

Its a 103 and i have a lot of work done to it trough Harley. 62 horses stock, got it up to 118.

Now what I really notice is the way I drive at 43 is way different than the way I drove in my 20's.

In my 20's, and riding a raced out rice rocket, it seemed that I would have a close call to a serious accident once a week. Speeding, splitting traffic at high speeds, Cars turning left in front of me, cars moving into my lane, etc.

And now being 43 i don't do the dumb shit I did in my 20's. But now that I ride a very loud Harley, Im heard and felt by all of the cars around me. Cars split 20+ cars ahead of me before I reach them, because I am heard.

Also since riding a Harley, I have had Zero close calls in the last 5 years. Knock on wood!

Loud Bike, not being young, dumb and never going more than 10 miles over the sped limit has beed the safety difference maker from my experience.

Just Dave
Great post.

L-Pink is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #87
mineistaken

Industry Role:
I am wondering what speed could be +- fatal in case of cars making a left and you crashing there? Lets say you drive at 50kmh and you are with your helmet and full gear.
Just wondering how many fatalities happen at city speed and driving with helmet/gear.

Last edited by mineistaken; 08-06-2014 at 06:35 PM..
Old 08-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #88
MK Ultra
Confirmed User

Quote:
I am wondering what speed could be +- fatal in case of cars making a left and you crashing there? Lets say you drive at 50kmh and you are with your helmet and full gear.
Just wondering how many fatalities happen at city speed and driving with helmet/gear.
This has happened to me twice, almost exactly the way you see it in the video

The first time was around 45 mph and I wasn't wearing a helmet (CA didn't have a helmet law at the time, a lot of things changed here while I was away ) I was in jeans and a t-shirt.

It cost me some knee issues when I put it through the passenger window and bent the frame.

The second time I was going almost 60, I flew about three times the distance as the guy in the video and landed flat on my back, I didn't get up as fast as he did that time.
Also in jeans and t-shirt, road rash won't kill you but shit if fucking STINGS!
I also didn't get a single scratch on my helmet.

The second one I feel in my lower back every single day, I quit riding for 20 years because of that accident.

But then I realized that life was too short to worry about "what if it happened again?"

So now I am a super defensive rider, but I still don't like riding in town in traffic.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #89
JustDaveXxx
I AM JUSTDAVE !

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Pink View Post
Great post.

Thanks buddy.

Quote:

The first time was around 45 mph and I wasn't wearing a helmet (CA didn't have a helmet law at the time, a lot of things changed here while I was away ) I was in jeans and a t-shirt.

It cost me some knee issues when I put it through the passenger window and bent the frame.

The second time I was going almost 60, I flew about three times the distance as the guy in the video and landed flat on my back, I didn't get up as fast as he did that time.

The second one I feel in my lower back every single day, I quit riding for 20 years because of that accident.

But then I realized that life was too short to worry about "what if it happened again?"

So now I am a super defensive rider, but I still don't like riding in town in traffic.

Yea< that way sucks!

But now being 43, always ware jeans, all of my leather jackets have body armor inside, and a full face helmet. Don't care how hot it is, I ware my gear. And I ware chaps when I go cross country or long distances.

When I was in my twenties, I wore shorts, wife beaters and tiny brain cup that was not really DOT approved.

My life insurance and medical insurance is very high. Cant leave my kids with nothing because I like to ride.

And I have been riding almost every day since spring. Love it!!

Just Dave

JustDaveXxx is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:28 AM   #90
mineistaken

Industry Role:
Quote:

One more question about accidents, how come not many bikers crush their legs when lets say they fall down and 400 pounds of bike falls on them? Is it not as heavy impact as it looks (when heavy bike drops on you/your legs when you fall).
Old 08-07-2014, 05:46 AM   #91
CamTraffic
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
I always wanted 2 wheels, but was reluctant because I always hear about deaths and so on.. Pretty dangerous hobby. Anyway I decided to give it a go as I know myself that I am careful driver/rider and not much into over speeding or any other antics.
So I am reading that the first bike should be sterrtbike/roadster as it is easiest one to ride on the city streets.
Something like XJ6 is easy to handle and recommended for beginners:
Do you agree?
I don't. I think if this is your first Bike you shouldn't go pass a 500cc and get a used one.
They are great to learn on and if you lay it, no biggy, it's used.
Motorcycle safety classes are also a great thing to do before you get on your own bike. They can cost around $200 for the weekend and you get Tons of information from it.

Quote:
Second question - Am I right that the core difference between streetbike like this and sport bike like R6 is that R6 is more for speed on highway + not that comfortable sitting position + clipons instead of real "wheel" which make it harder to navigate (takes more space to turn around for example?)on the streets?
Totally, street bikes have a lot of pick up/Torque and are faster. Not very comfortable for long distances but are easier to maneuver, lean and take turn.
Again, depends on the size of the Cruiser and the Street Bike.

Quote:
Third question: Besides steet bikes I also fancy cruiser style bikes:
How do they compare to street/roadsters? I assume it is completely different driving style? And not as easy to handle for beginners?
Thanks
Usually a bit heavier but much more comfortable I would recommend getting a cruiser for you (Virago, Shadow, CB), anything between 250 and 500 cc, used but in good shape. Learn on it and keep it for a year or two, just enough time to the experience of driving around other Vehicles and get a good feel . You will automatically outgrow the bike at some point and will need something bigger.

Don't make the mistake of buying a big Cube as a first bike, I believe 80% of fatal crashes happened to inexperienced Motorcyclists (got that from the Motorcycle Classe instructor)
There is nothing wrong with driving a smaller Cube for a year or two.

Just my (Been Biking for 20+ Years )
let us know what you get and post Pics

KWFinder is the only keyword tool in the universe you will ever need. Seriously

Last edited by CamTraffic; 08-07-2014 at 05:58 AM..
CamTraffic is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #92
JustDaveXxx
I AM JUSTDAVE !

Industry Role:
Quote:
One more question about accidents, how come not many bikers crush their legs when lets say they fall down and 400 pounds of bike falls on them? Is it not as heavy impact as it looks (when heavy bike drops on you/your legs when you fall).
Big Bikes like Harley's have safety bars in the front and back that keep the bike from crushing you if it tips over.

Just Dave

Old 08-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #93
mineistaken

Industry Role:
Yeah, what about smaller bikes, they are somewhat heavy enough? Or crushing is not that common at all? Just a random thought as I was always wondering - I mean even if bike is 200 pounds it is still heavy, especially when it drops on you with some power.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #94
scuba steve
Confirmed User

Quote:
Yeah, what about smaller bikes, they are somewhat heavy enough? Or crushing is not that common at all? Just a random thought as I was always wondering - I mean even if bike is 200 pounds it is still heavy, especially when it drops on you with some power.
if you lay your bike down, your leg most likely not get caught it in. yeah they weigh a decent amount, but it's not all located in one spot, spread out on the bike. if it just tips over and falls on you that will prolly hurt. but if you're riding and going down, the momentum will keep the bike going and you'll be separated pretty easily
Old 08-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #95
mineistaken

Industry Role:
Quote:
if you lay your bike down, your leg most likely not get caught it in. yeah they weigh a decent amount, but it's not all located in one spot, spread out on the bike. if it just tips over and falls on you that will prolly hurt. but if you're riding and going down, the momentum will keep the bike going and you'll be separated pretty easily
Nice to hear
Old 08-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #96
L-Pink
working on my tan

Industry Role:

Top, my Road King weighing in at almost 800 pounds vs the Honda at 350 pounds, one hell of a difference.

The girl I'm dating is 5' 1" and weighs about 115. She has ridden since a kid, not bad but I wouldn't ride in the same lane at speed like I do with some friends. No way she could handle my bike because of the weight.

She was riding an old Suzuki that kept breaking down, this is a 2012 Honda Rebel 250. We found it in Orlando, only 600 miles for $3000.00 plus tax. Bike was a starter bike for a man that decided motorcycle riding wasn't for him.

They are inexpensive, get 80 miles a gallon, dependable as hell, parts available everywhere, easy to ride upright sitting position.

edit, mine has a true dual exhaust and is pretty loud, hers sounds like a sewing machine lol.

Last edited by L-Pink; 08-07-2014 at 12:35 PM..
Old 08-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #97
Ferus
Bye - Left to do stuff

Industry Role:
Loads of good quality bikes on the market today, that fits the beginner driver. The Parallel twins from Honda, BMW and Kawasaki are great light and nible bikes, with a driving position that fits beginners well. They are fast enough to be your main bike forever, so dont think you miss out on the fun, just because you have below 100BHP

As many have said before; "its more fun to drive fast on a slow bike, than it is to drive slow on a fast"

It's not always true, but most of the time it is.

I only have one bike now (CBR1100 XX) but that is fun to drive all the time.

Last edited by Ferus; 08-07-2014 at 12:27 PM..
Ferus is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #98
mineistaken

Industry Role:
L-pink, that Honda looks way better than Road King
I guess bikers would shame me for saying that
Old 08-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #99
PR_Glen
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
this never computed with me either.. I can hear 250cc no problem from a block and a half away with normal exhausts so the louder is safer bullshit is blown far out of proportion and more people wanting their bikes to sound like a roar..which is kind of telling..

Quote:
If I see/hear another SOA-themed dyna blappin down PCH I'm going to throw a banana peel out in front of it. If I can stop lolling @ em.
FYI.
this actually reminded me of something pretty hilarious. while taking my motorcycle course there was this guy sitting in front of me who was probably in his early 40's at the youngest. had S.O.A on the back of his neck. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and figured it meant something else.. but getting a better look at it later i noticed it had the soa reaper underneath it and everything! I mean i thought he was a poser enough sporting one of those bell cobra helmets with the gi joe looking face mask on it but damn.. this guy took it to a whole new level.. I mean i love that show but shit...

..wonder if he has a C.H.I.P.S. tattoo on his arm as well..
Old 08-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #100
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDaveXxx View Post

Just Dave

you're getting 118 hp from a 103" motor?

I built my previous dyna to get 100hp and lose 100 pounds. it took A LOT of money and a 107" build + to barely hit 100hp.
Post New Thread Reply
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >