View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 06:42 PM  
HairyChick
Slowly dying

Industry Role:
Is Anyone Here A Windows Whiz?

This is lengthy but background information is needed to help figure this out.

My Dell Inspiron laptop came with Windows 7. I upgraded to 8, then 10. Everything was fine. My right arm is not steady. Last week I installed a new printer. I forgot to uninstall the old ones.

I needed to ftp some txt files and could not find them. I went into Program Files and not Program Files (x86). I saw Brother, my old printer software, listed. I have amnesia so I didn't think to use the Uninstall feature.

I highlighted Brother and right clicked "delete". But I didn't realize I also had Program Files highlighted. Oh yeah, it began deleting files from the first folder. It said 1,400 files or something. I hit cancel immediately. I shut down the laptop and haven't touched it since.

I spent the whole night thinking how to fix this. After much thought, I knew reinstalling Windows would overwrite files. Plus my CDs are packed as I'm moving in two weeks.

So ... what I need is the files I deleted. I don't remember the first program listing but less than a hundred files were deleted. I'm afraid to turn the laptop on in case I deleted vital files that will break Windows. What I believe I need is:

A. Copies of files I deleted, meaning the first folder in Program Files

B. Advice on whether or not I can safely turn on my laptop

C. If it won't load, how do I get into the Home Screen to replace the files?

D. If someone here emails the folder to me (pretty please), how can I get the files to my C Drive/Program Files? That's IF Windows loads .... but if not, how?

E. If someone is willing to ftp the files to my host, I could ftp them to my laptop. But, that works IF I can load Windows and my ftp program.

I'm trying to be explanatory and clear but am extremely upset, obviously.

Please help. And no, no backup. I've begun looking into backup software to backup to a flash drive. Oddly, I can't find a new flash drive that will backup Windows 10. So far all only do up to Windows 8. I'm not sure why that is. Does the USB port handle different versions of Windows, well, differently?

HairyChick is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote