Thread: What about OVH?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 04:36 PM  
brandonstills
Confirmed User

They are wholesellers. Catch is they only guarantee the network and the hardware. Everything else after that is your responsibility. You have to know your way around a server. They aren't going to hold your hand. If they can ping the machine, their job is done.

The good news is that everything is pretty much automated so there aren't the normal issues for the first few days that you have to work out when servers are manually provisioned. Often times with manually provisioned they forget to set things up completely or something isn't configured quite right.

They also have no US presence (although they are adding US data centers soon). Not having to deal with US regulatory laws probably means less overhead and thus lower costs.

I've had several servers with them. No issues. Never needed support. Fast servers and fast network. I'm currently syncing 1 TB of content to an object store and it is transferring at about 1 Gbps.

Yes, OVH servers are on a lot of blacklists. Not sure which ones but I tried to tunnel through my server and watch Netflix outside of the country and they don't allow OVH IPs.
brandonstills is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote