View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 03:45 PM  
brandonstills
Confirmed User

I've worked full time in Silicon Valley at various tech startups. The state of technology in adult is behind the times. There are many things I have learned that are common practice in other industries but that, for some reason, are surprisingly absent in the adult industry. I've recently moved back into adult and am making it my mission to change the technology landscape of the adult industry.

I predict a shift from "scripts" to "platforms". I'm also currently building the infrastructure to make it happen. "The best way to predict the future is to create it."

Right now, producers and affiliates must also be?or hire?programmers and webmasters just to be able to be in business. The technical barrier to entry is too high. There are also a lot of cost inefficiencies related to hosting, software, technical maintenance, and professional services needed to support a business.

A Software as a Service (SaaS) platform provides software solutions that are hosted in the cloud. Producers and webmasters can just create an account on the platform, point their domains, and have sites up and running. Having a platform instead of having to manage servers means the business owner can focus on their core business rather than the plumbing.

Delegating the technical aspects to outside companies more qualified to handle them means technologists can use their knowledge to create more efficient architectures?leverage. Unfortunately, these modern architectures are not cost effective, nor feasible, for smaller mom and pop producers. But, by specializing, a technologist can make the investment and provide the benefits to the entire industry.

Being able to buy servers and bandwidth wholesale lowers costs. These savings can be passed onto the producers.

Scalability is a concern that is not being addressed. Many servers are not fully utilized. Why pay $200/mo for a server that you are only using 50% of? Currently people purchase bigger servers than they need to provide room to grow. Much of the software out there can only work on a single server?no support for operating in a cluster. Need to upgrade your server? Pray that everything gets transferred and set up correctly. What happens if you already pay for the most expensive server out there and it still won't handle the traffic? What happens if a hard drive dies on your server? Do you have a backup? How long will it take you to get your site back up and running? Often there's no tolerance for server failure. Google has hard drives and servers dying every day but they don't go down.

A cloud infrastructure means a given site is not running on any one particular server. It exists in a cluster. If more hardware is needed it can just be added. In fact, rules can be set up to automatically order servers, provision them, and add them to the cluster based on traffic. Servers grow and shrink based on traffic demand. Servers are also closer to being fully utilized. This results in massive cost savings. Additionally, your site is never slow.

Updates to software are cumbersome. You have conflicting prerequisite technical requirements for different "scripts". A SaaS model means you are always running the latest version of the software and you don't need to do anything to make it happen. No dealing with support tickets and giving random strangers root access to your server.

Not sure what you are looking for but feel free to hit me up if you want to know more. I'm in the very early stages right now but I want to work with others on this.

For others, I'm looking for early adopters that want to help me design the products and have a say of what the features / workflows are.
brandonstills is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote