View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 03:30 PM  
JesseQuinn
feeding the wolves

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry-xlovecam View Post
A lot of us stood up as men and refused the draft like I did and dared the Feds to arrest us

lets not forget though that a whole bunch of peeps avoided the draft by being lucky enough to be from middle class families and got a college deferment. no risk whatsoever. and that for many low income racialized peeps, the state had a habit of looking for any chance to arrest them.

I am against compulsory military service period (I don't think a national body should have the right to compel one to take up arms against a fellow human being and if put in that position I would not comply) but the people who went to vietnam in a lot of cases didn't have much in the way of viable choice

those who served weren't stupid for doing so, regardless of their unique position. they made a choice based on the options their life conditions presented to them. and in doing so made a sacrifice I can't even fathom.

I think would guess it's safe to say most people who join the military don't wish to face wartime battle. Don't want to kill, but rather wish to serve to keep their nation secure. Vets feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here

point is, I wouldn't wish the set of choices any of y'all in the US at that time had to face on anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanG View Post
it's either "everything for the Vets" or "dodging the draft is fine".

can't be both
I get where you're coming from but can't agree with the logic of your perspective here, for the reasons outlined above. I don't see them as mutually exclusive beliefs

but yeah, in response to the general ignorance in this thread, so easy to sit in the comfort of one's own home and judge what other people do in any setting, having never lived a moment in their reality
JesseQuinn is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote