View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 08:19 AM  
crockett
in a van by the river

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
I was just discussing a case with some friends of mine. In 2013 a guy was driving with his girlfriend and got pulled over by the police. The cop ends up searching his car and finds $20K in cash in the guy's computer bag. The cop seizes the money. After an investigation no charges were filed against the guy, but the prosecution still filed the paperwork to allow them to keep the money. The guy challenged it and even showed pay stubs and bank records to prove that the money was obtained legally. Eventually the prosecution opted to drop their claim, but since it was in the court system it went before a judge who ruled that the state can keep the money. When he filed an appeal it was denied. It turns out he only had 10 days to file the appeal and his lawyer thought he had 30. So they filed too late and he likely isn't going to get his money back unless he sues his lawyer for screwing up.

I was floored when a few of my friend just assumed the guy was up to something illegal. They shrugged and said, "Nobody needs that amount of cash for anything legal." I listed several good reasons to carry that amount of cash, but they still said they didn't think it was a big deal.

I tried to point out that it was the guy's money that he legally earned and he should have the freedom to do with it as he pleases, but they had the attitude like he was asking for this.

It is crazy when simply wanting the freedom to live your life as you see fit so long as you aren't hurting others suddenly is considered "crazy."
The problem with this, is its not the federal govt doing this, it's states. I'm pretty sure that the Obama admin was trying to push a federal law which stops to these police forces from using these types of funds but I think congress sat on it as usual..