View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 02:35 PM  
JoeS
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post
I agree, but as long as the code is clean, well-structured, standardized, modular, functions well named and there are project specifications, actual documentation (while always appreciated) isn't as necessary. Most programmers, even great ones, hate to document. Of course, you may argue they do that for their own job security heh.

However, I remember years ago when I worked on someone's code where every variable was named after their girlfriend, their pet's names, what they were watching on tv at the time, etc... What a mess!
Hi Varius! Great article and I wish I had read it eighteen years ago when I started.
You were one of the one or two excellent reliable and professional programmers I've ever hired and known.

I've had arguments with programmers about documenting code before. It goes something like "Why should I do this extra work and make it easier for whoever replaces me?" then "Do you want me to do this work or not?" at which point the answer should always be ..not, thanks but no thanks.

Unfortunately it is often the case when hiring a programmer one is in a jam of some sort or up against a deadline and there's a shortage of competent programmers to hire or that one could afford. So it's never good to do business or anything in life from a position of desperation.

Thing is most reliable, professional and competent programmers already are employed in large companies and those who are not either booked up for six months ahead of time or charge what seems a lot of money!

I say seems a lot of money because the hourly rate is really less important than their ability to get the job done right so you don't have to redo it or spend more fixing their work. There's nothing so expensive in my experience as "cheap programming".

Anyways I say please document the code to explain what it is your code is doing because that's the right way to do the job and if you have a problem doing so let me know and I'll find someone else thank you.

I hope you're doing well my old friend!
Go Ducks!
Joe S.

Chat App that pays you!, Let's use this chat app that pays us for using it!

Why use ICQ or Skype when we could use a chat app (with video & voice) that pay$ you (up to 70%) of all the ad revenue they make!

All the best!
Joe S.
JoeS is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote