View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 09:45 AM  
Brujah
Beer Money Baron

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
He has definitely purchased them. And they do offer developer's licenses. Whoever thought that up is the retard, if you ask me.

These companies (especially the Theme Frameworks) sell developer licenses that specifically state that I can set my clients up with the theme framework. They don't get support from the other company, but from me.

It's a bit of a grey area, considering also that these themes are typically required to carry the same GPL license that Wordpress carries. WP and the guy who puts out the Thesis theme had a big, knock down drag out a few years back.

As he said, they can't do anything about it, but cancel his membership, because he's technically not breaking their "developers" license.
A "gray area" would apply whether a developers license was purchased or not. Themes as a whole are not required to be GPL licensed. The portion that uses WordPress -- usually the php files are -- but not the html, css, images, js, etc... Otherwise, everyone selling themes and plugins here on GFY, could have one person purchase and then give it away to everyone else for free. One person could purchase the package from fris, and then give it away to everyone else. That's how the GPL works.