Thread: PHP Refugees
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 11:16 PM  
raymor
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentbacardi View Post
Just because code may be sloppy as fuck and far from elegant doesn't mean it sucks!
Very well put. Wrong 90% of the time, but very well phrased. Reminds me of a certain president. Well, wrong 50% of the time - only for publicly accessible web sites or code used more than once. Seriously, sloppy normally means you can't be sure what the code will do in edge cases. What if that list you're working on happens to be empty? Sloppy, far from elegant code will probably break on an empty list. (Ex. code to modify a password file that happens to be empty because it's a new site, or code to find the middle of a file that happens to be empty.)

Further, show me any sloppy code that isn't vulnerable to an evil null attack. Sloppy coders probably don't know what an evil null attack is, and therefore don't know they've just allowed the bad guys control of the server. It may well be fine for you own personal one-time use. Half the code I write is like that - use once and throw away. That's a very different standard from creating a professional product that's on a public web site exposed to the hackers' bots.
Throttlebox - The next generation in bandwidth control
Clonebox - Backup and disaster recovery on steroids
raymor is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote