View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 PM  
adanac

My Dad passed away exactly 2 months ago and I'm still a fuckin wreck- He was 90 and had a good life, but 2 years ago broke his hip in the hospital, and than things just got worse and worse until he died.
You find out quickly just how deep friends and families love is when someone is in long term care...I thought my extended family was tight, but...somehow excuses and indignities kept piling up from everyone but me. -and I became resented for being there so much- the contrast was so great. He died knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that most his family didn't consider him worth the effort. And yet he was a fantastic dad! I wish I had done more to alert my family as to the importance of being with and comforting them when they are alone in some fucking care home, frightened like a child, barely cared for, by overworked staff.- but they knew...
Whoops sorry, back to thread..
I'm not a social network guy, but I can see the appeal in wanting to vent online, especially when the truth is far to painful to all who are physically close to you. I guess if I still felt close to anyone I would have worn them thin by now, and spreading it out online might help spread the load..So yeah, I guess I can understand it. My siblings who weren't around much, have made a big deal after his death with photo tributes etc online, and that smacks of guilt to me,-and perhaps it helps them, but I take no pleasure from these tributes and fine words... too little too late.