View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 07:17 PM  
Honez
Confirmed Brat

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujah View Post
Yes. It helps her mourn with others who knew him, other family members, and friends that knew him. Especially when families and friends are spread apart so much around the nation. It's as important or more to her as whether someone wants to share a song, a recipe, or whatever. Social media provides the tools to customize who sees specific posts but she may not be thinking about sharing it only with certain people and then everyone else is seeing it too, or maybe she thought you were a close enough friend that you wouldn't be bothered with it. I think the respectful thing to do is just Unsubscribe from her posts for awhile if it bugs you, or wait it out. No different than people posting here about their loss of famil or pets here really. I've had a great deal of loss in my family lately, and some of my relatives are mourning this way too.
I could not have said it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochard View Post
I've never been through this or anything close.

My wife's brother died shortly after I met her - twenty years ago - and they still "celebrate" his death every year. It just seems so odd to me.
One of my nephews died when he was 23. His mom and siblings celebrate his "life" every year. It is their way of remembering and honoring him. Plus, I'm sure it helps them deal with this void in their lives.

Everyone deals with grief and loss in the way that best keeps them sane. There is no right or wrong way or any specific set of rules to follow. Some people shut down. Some, reach out in any venue possible, social media included.

I sincerely feel for your friend and her loss. I have not lost my parents yet, but something tells me when I do, I will be a chicken eating, vodka drinking, crazy assed Facebook, Twittering fool.
Honez is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote