View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 AM  
raymor
Confirmed User

Quote:
You know that the ultimate use of your gun will be to shoot a person, right?
No. 90%-95% of the time an attack will stop or be prevented by, the aggressor becoming aware that the intended victim or witness is armed. Studies have looked at "victims" who presented a pistol and the attacker fled. I don't know of any studies that covered the only times I've used my gun defensively, where I simply walked into a room and ordered the combatants to stop since combatants already knew I was armed. An example was my brother and sister-in-law, who get violent with each other, throwing knives at each other, etc. She picked up a chair over her head to throw it at him. I ordered her, in a drill sergeant voice, to put it down, with my hand on my hip. Glancing toward my hip she remembered there's probably a holster there, so she set the chair down and sat down. So far, I've had about three such cases - I've never drawn my pistol, but those around me can hear something in my voice when I tell them to back down.

I have drawn pepper spray a couple of times and used it once on a burglar, and twenty years ago when someone broke into the house to attack my brother I presented a shotgun. The attacker coming into the house and their accomplices quickly fled, no shots fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********** View Post
Are you so afraid that you will be mugged or attacked? Are you so terrified where you live...

This is the thing that has us Canadians's so puzzled.
Puzzled, eh? I can solve that puzzle for you. Why are you so scared of fire that you spend a couple hundred dollars on smoke detectors? It's pretty much the same, except going to the range is also a fun hobby. You might have a fire, I might be attacked by some stray dogs, or see someone else being atacked. We both have some protection. Range time is just more fun than 9V batteries.
Throttlebox - The next generation in bandwidth control
Clonebox - Backup and disaster recovery on steroids

Last edited by raymor; 04-09-2012 at 12:07 PM..
raymor is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote