Thread: Flash Videos
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 05:04 PM  
Sunny Day
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
YouTube

I want download the stupid video the 80 MPH Girl and other YouTubes,. Many are old TV shows, of music clips of 50's & 60's musicians. Unless a TV network specifically refiled again for copyright, before the copyright expired they are "Public Domain."

80 MPH Girl. I assume the original poster created the video. I see no copyright claim. If there is one, your re-posting alone would violate copyright laws.

Under current law, creating any work of art is owned by the owner or who commissions the work of art. However, it appears the creator posted on YouTube and wanted it distributed as widely as possible. This means he gave up his copyright ownership. So I have a legal right to download. a copy. Same as recording a TV show to watch later AKA "Time Shifting," a right the US Supreme Court granted.

There is also the "Fair Use' Doctrine. If I want to download all the Hitler parodies off YouTube, I have a legal right. They are all from the copyrighted movie "Downfall." But they fall under parody, satire and fair use.
Sunny Day is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote