Thread: Goa, India
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 05:01 AM  
DWB
Giggity

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus H Christ View Post
Wrote a detailed post about GOA months back, too lazy to look it up. Hard to understand what you're looking for with little information provided. Anyway, I preferred GOA over the rest of India because you're able to check into a verity of nice hotels to recover.

Plus, due to GOA being a former Portuguese colony the variety of meat protean based foods are just incredible. If you get outside of the major tourist traps, head south and you'll have some of the best and seafood of your life. It's cheap, fresh and simply delicious, especially the real grilled tiger prawns as this is coming from a guy who deals/dealt in the seafood business.

Anyway, I'd highly suggest renting a houseboat with (new) friends and cruise down Siolim river for a couple days. All you do eat, stop in little village ports, get high, and sleep good as the houseboats are all air conditioned. Make sure you pick the places to stop of you'll pay much more for things as the boat operator gets a kickback. In short, always lead and let them follow.

Indian people are the most hospitable on the planet to a fault, as the further you go south the more "real" they become as things get cheaper. Again, compared to the rest of India the people in GOA are much more relaxed and not as much poverty stricken comparatively. Your time means absolutely nothing to them and the true core to everything is your money. Due to this they will just about say/do anything to get it even if it's a lie or miss direction. They are masters at problem solving (usually created by them) as they are always the solution. With that said, it's impossible not to like them as they just grow on you.

Cons:

You're gonna get sick no matter how careful you are so stop thinking prevention and more damage control. All the food is made by hand and usually served by hand as cross contamination is normal especially, if your a vegetarian. So bring the right medication with you because nothing is worse being sick looking for it. Also, many products are bootlegged and made in a back alley somewhere so don't think it's safe because of the brand.

Have fun wishing I was you.
That small post was one of the most to the point informative posts I've read in a long time. But I'd expect nothing less from Jesus.
DWB is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote