Thread: Email 101
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 07:24 AM  
DamianJ
Too lazy to set a custom title

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gideongallery View Post
btw if your tracking open rates and click thru rates accurate then you are missing a world class oppertunity

resend your body message with a different title to all the people who did not open the first message.

remember those people will not consider it spam because they have not SEEN your first message.

you can usually squeeze your open rate X unopen rate out of your list.

this is also a great way to test your alternative lines to the same message and if the open rate is better the second time around you can simple start making that your primary mailing.
Yep, that is what I tried to explain at the end of my article! Maybe I wasn't clear so thanks for breaking it down.

I wouldn't recommend using that method to test your mailing subject lines though. Deliverability issues. If you got x non opens for your first mailing, a % of that will be delivery errors. If you then mail those non opens your alternate subject line, you will be resending to probably failures. This will firstly look bad from the ISPs and secondly totally skew your test results. Obviously if someone didn't open it because they don't like the Display Name, sending again with same display name will not lead to an open. And will mean your test is flawed.

I would do a proper split A/B test with 10% of your database. Whichever is the winning subject you can then send to the remainder of your list.

Then you can start testing display names. And then you can get onto testing the content!
DamianJ is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote