View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 PM  
goodsites
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Due View Post
I tend to tell the programmers what I want the system to do VERY rough (I have A, I need B, figure it out)
Then I ask them to write the specs, then I review it
Then I ask them to make the flow charts and the pseudo code.
Then I ask them to design the database structure.

After that I ask them to write the code.

This way I can weed out the people that can't come up with a solution fairly fast or can't work independent.

This may not be the best solution for everyone, but having a smaller company with only 4 programmers this appears to be the most efficient way for us

This probably wouldn't work on a freelance / project basis as they are usually dealt with on an agreed price rather than per hour and they are usually not in-house.

P.S. reason to ask developers to write specs is to show that they fully understand the assignment
Seriously? You want a programmer to write and show you the specs of your desired project that you must relate to him, and then possibly not get the job so you can take the specs to someone else? Heh.... I call fiddle faddle here.. No programmer is going to write specs for you to win a bid
goodsites is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote