View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 09:45 AM  
Varius
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsites View Post
I'll outline some flaws in this article

70k per year? Did you just look this up on MonsterJobs for the avg going rate of some entry level PHP programmer or something? I believe so.

You talk about the low cost programmers and high cost programmers, try to explain the difference.. I'll point out more real bits of information below but then you say to hire them and give the GOOD programmer some $70k after saying its okay to pay someone $150/h

If they are $150/h, you for one are not going to hire them.. that is $250k/year 50 weeks in a year (2 weeks vacation unpaid) 5 days a week 8 hours a day... Seems you are already underpaying your great programmer...
If you re-read the initial post, you'll notice that the starting salary was for in-house workers and the hourly rate was for outsourcing. It's my experience that outsourcers do charge typically more, as they lose out in other ways (security, benefits, stock plans, company outings...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsites View Post
The fact is, everyone wants a great programmer or cant pay for one.. This is why the business is bad... Because, if you needed to hire an electrician, you are STUCK paying what they charge.. you have no real choice.. but for some reason when it comes to programming, you want the best of everything for the lowest of cost (Manilla Phillipines wages)...

You end up getting what you pay for.... in the cases where you get a functioning script.. you end up down the road with massive security problems and no exception handling becase they dont work for quality.. they work to get the job done as fast as possible, doing only the bare essentials of the code.. which is the reason noone wants to work on other peoples code, and you will rarely ever find a good programmer who will accept you're fix up crap.. they dont need your $50_$150 crap projects. They like anyone else care about their future.

Which brings in the next problem,, Any good programmer has learned... They are the valuable part of the company, without them nothing good gets accomplished... What do they see?? They see sales people who do nothing but sit on their asses and get a few phone calls going, making 3 times the pay... And guess what, when the programmer is done with the automation the company and everything is running great,.. The programmer is thrown out the back door because he is now expendable. Who wants to pay him the bucks when the job is complete to hang around and manage it.. we can get some minimum age punk to do the task

So no programmers just work for anyone..

If things are well done and programmer is doing work and appreciated comes the next problem. MUST DO EVERYTHING HIMSELF AND EVERY LITTLE PART OF IT AND EVERY BIT OF TESTING AND THEN HE BLOWS HIS HEAD OFF

See what happens is mr manager, calls the shots and starts getting projects completed with programmer... They work together and do some great stuff.. Manager now starts getting lazy and doing other stupid stuff, no longer wanting to sit down and get stuff done... Instead starts giving programmer all the tasks.. Every bit of all tasks.. do this, ok ddo that.. i dont want to do this so do that... Programmer says.. yeah i see whats going on here.. I do all the work, manager gets all the glory and programmer says no thanks bye bye and company falls to shit when they dont realzie progammer made job
secure for himself and not going to answer how does this work when he leaves..

Programmers are underpaid, underappreciated, 10 times more intelligent then your best worker..... start paying them or continue with the headches and failed businesses.
You are entitled to your opinions, but this rant sounds bitter based on personal experiences. What you described certainly occurs, but I don't think you can generalize that ALL companies treat their programmers as you describe.