View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 04:33 PM  
Varius
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by borked View Post
Why on earth do you write code on the command line remotely????

Each to their own indeed, but there are many reasons for developing on a dev server with a GUI, not least for speed. I don't believe you can type without introducing syntax errors, in which case a GUI will save you a lot of time trying to debug.
I guess it is old-school, but vi is extremely powerful once you are familiar with it; nano is just simple when you don't need any of the extra vi bells and whistles. I haven't experienced any problems yet when it comes to syntax errors or such to the point where a GUI would enhance my production.

Quote:
Also, liek you mentioned for freelance work - mini scripts etc etc... working on a dev server means you can deploy once client has paid in full. I wouldn't expect a client to pay for something not received, nor would I ask of it. That way a remote demo of the working script is proof the work is done, I get paid, the client gets script. Signed, sealed and delivered.
As I was never a full-time freelancer, my situation was probably different. When I did decide to take on work, it was always on my terms. If they were a new client, 100% upfront payment only. If they were someone I knew but had never worked with, 50% before and 50% after. If it was someone I had a solid working relationship with or was a close friend, I would not worry about being paid until after the task was taken care of. Call it luck I suppose, but I've never had a client complain about work they paid for nor have I ever not been paid for freelance work.

However, for someone who would rely on freelancing as their only income stream or someone who hasn't yet built up a solid base of references/reputation who could not charge 100% up-front if they hope to attract clients, your point is valid and taken.

Quote:
And how difficult is it to "svn ci -m "some message" to remotely commit new changes to a repository? Followed by "svn up" on the client machine?
When I first used CVS and later SVN, we honestly gave it a good run at IwantU for about six months. The problems were numerous; corrupted repositories, merge bugs and so on. That was many years ago and yes, it's possible SVN has come a long way since and improved their offering. Some of those issues are still able to occur, however.

Not to mention, it isn't always feasible to replicate remote environments. Once you take into accounts data, hardware, software, load; if you had 10 clients, I suppose you could have 10 dev boxes on your end one mirroring each environment, but that's not practical nor affordable for many. Running multiple environments on a single box, may be adding additional factors that skew your debugging.

Quote:
Old school is admirable and all, but you're the first person I've heard of that develops/writes in vi/nano.
I (think) I take that as a compliment